Thread: Battery Will Not Fully Charge Unless Fully Depleted First

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 3 7.0

Battery Will Not Fully Charge Unless Fully Depleted First

This one has me talking to myself. The victim is a Galaxy Tab3 SM-T310. Stock OS and kernel (4.4.2, 3.0.31-1984358dpi@SWHD7411 #1 Tue Sep 1 13:41:27 KST 2015, Build # KOT49H.T310UEUCOl1).

About 3 months back I replaced the battery. Replacement is identical to the OEM as far as voltage and current are concerned, or so the label on it says.

First time charge was about 8 hours, using the Samsung charger that came with the unit, and it read 100% when completed. I used the tab for several days before having to charge it again. Using the same charger, but this time for over 24 hours as I had to go out of town unexpectedly.

When I got home and removed it from the charger it read 75%. Thought the charger may have gone belly up so I dug out another one (they grow like corn in my shop so I have plenty). This one was a 2A charger. Plugged it in for several hours, no change. OK. Change cable and used the same charger. No better. Tried a THIRD cable. No joy. The tab worked perfectly but all indicators were showing 75%.

So I ripped into the net for research and read lots of comments and articles regarding calibration. The first one said to root the beast and use the Battery Calibration App. So, I merrily rooted it, did everything suggested, and got absolutely nowhere. I let the unit burn the battery down till it turned itself off, re-started it and hit the CALIBRATE button when it got to 100%. First clue. it was a charge from fully exhausted that got to 100%.

Thinking I had it licked I used the tablet for several days till it needed charging again. 8 hours later, the indicators all said 75%, and it would go no further. So I swore at it, questioned it's parentage, and tried draining it to zero again, then plugged it in to recharge. I did NOT use the calibrate program this time, and, as before, it charged to a full 100%. Once again, I used it for a few days till it was time to recharge. At this point I should add that my recharge level is usually around 25-35%.

Recharged overnight. Battery level read, you guessed it. 75%, and would go no higher. Repeated use and recharge cycles over the course of several days showed zero change in behavior.

So, I re-flashed back to the factory ROM and tried the 'use it till it shuts down and recharge again' method, rinse and repeat one time. Each Time it charged to 100% from zero. After doing that twice (suggested in another forum on another site) I used the tab till it hit my customary recharge level. I crossed my fingers, toes, eyes, even a couple of hairs. 75%.

I now believe this beast to be possessed by demons who deal specifically with battery issues since everything else is working like it just came out of the box.

Short of draining the thing to 0% before charging every time, a practice sure to kill the battery prematurely, does ANYONE have a clue what's going on? Should I try yet-another-battery?

Sign me:
    Unsatisfactorily Discharged, and hating it.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    44 times
    Device
    Galaxy Note 10.1
    Yes, I would try another battery! You didn't say where you got the battery, but it could be defective or mislabeled.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 3 7.0

Got another battery.

Quote Originally Posted by sculptedstylus View Post
    Yes, I would try another battery! You didn't say where you got the battery, but it could be defective or mislabeled.
    My source was TechOrbits. Never had any problems with their products previously. A replacement seems to be charging just fine so I assume it was the electronics on the battery that were hosed.

Live and learn.

Thanks.

Dave

Remove Ads

Ads