Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By teamost

Thread: USB Keyboard with USB Adaptor?

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

USB Keyboard with USB Adaptor?

I have plenty of usb keyboards lying around and would be very happy if i didn't have to pay an extra 60 bucks for the keyboard dock! I am wondering if anybody has tried a simple USB 2.0 keyboard with the USB adapter?! I have looked everywhere online and found no proof of a keyboard working with this. The Samsung website says that u can plug in compatible thumb drives mice and keyboard but this could mean not all keyboards and I have yet to read about it or see it.
    Thanks!!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I have both a USB keyboard and USB mouse running together on a POWERED USB hub (powered since otherwise it would drain the battery when powering the two usb idevices).

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlPeaston View Post
    I have both a USB keyboard and USB mouse running together on a POWERED USB hub (powered since otherwise it would drain the battery when powering the two usb idevices).
    Is the POWERED USB hub different from the official Samsung one? If it is, links now. lol

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    A powered USB hub is a seperate piece of of equipment that allows the Samsung USB Dongle to accomodate more then one USB device at a time (in my case it has 7 ports for USB devices). It allows me to run both a keyboard and mouse at the same time without powering them by the 10.1's battery. The powered hub was bought from tmart.com for $4.98 including shipping.
    Last edited by AlPeaston; 08-30-2011 at 12:15 AM.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by AlPeaston View Post
    A powered USB hub is a seperate piece of of equipment that allows the Samsung USB Dongle to accomodate more then one USB device at a time (in my case it has 7 ports for USB devices). It allows me to run both a keyboard and mouse at the same time without powering them by the 10.1's battery. The powered hub was bought from tmart.com for $4.98 including shipping.
    Ohhh Im picking up my galaxy tab tomorrow, which brand usb hub did u get?

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Here is one similar but it is about $1 more...

7 Port USB 2.0 High-Speed Hub Powered + AC Adapter Cable - Tmart.comt

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Couple years later, not sure if anyone's still around. But I was going to try an external USB keyboard plugged into a USB 'turnaround' thing, and then to the Tab's cable that normally goes from the Tab to the AC adapter. But the Tab does not seem to recognize the keyboard with this path. Here's the turnaround part:
    Amazon.com: USB A (F) to USB A (F) Adapter - Fix Your Mismatched USB Connection!: Computers & Accessories

Is there something inherently special about official USB-to-go connectors? Thanks.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Quote Originally Posted by teamost View Post
    Couple years later, not sure if anyone's still around. But I was going to try an external USB keyboard plugged into a USB 'turnaround' thing, and then to the Tab's cable that normally goes from the Tab to the AC adapter. But the Tab does not seem to recognize the keyboard with this path.

Is there something inherently special about official USB-to-go connectors? Thanks.
    Welcome to the forum

Yes, the USB connectors are designed to enable USB devices to be connected to your device, making use of specific pin out connections in your Tab connector to enable those devices to be recognised. Just getting a "male to female" converter for your normal cable will not work - as you have found.

No need to buy the Samsung branded accessory though. We bought a non branded connector for our Tab 2 7.0 for 2-3 from a third party marketplace seller on Amazon (with good reviews) & it works fine.

All the best

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1

thanks for the reply janner43

That was my hunch. There are some very low-priced 3rd party USB OTG connectors for Galaxy Tab 10.1 on U.S. amazon.com, so I'll give one a try. A physical keyboard will be nice for longer-form emails or docs.
    janner43 likes this.

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    I don't know if your tab supports blue tooth but a blue tooth keyboard would be an option if it does.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Remove Ads

Ads