Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1

Question USB Connection Kit...File Transfers...File Manager

Hi All,

Some time ago I purchased a USB Connection kit [EPL-1PLRBEGSTD], but apparently, as I connected a 200gb HD to the USB port, I got an error message and thought the HD would not mount.

Thanks to this forum, I found that the Tab using USB will only recognize 32gb.

Following on from some reading of the forum yesterday, I downloaded the app, "File manager".

Is there any instruction manual or online tutorial for using File Manager as my USB connection and card reader seem to be working well with one of my cameras (Canon PowerShot SX120 IS) and a 2gb card in the reader.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Hi again

I am not sure which File Manager app you have downloaded - presumably from the Play Store? - as there are quite a lot.

I normally recommend ES File Manager/Explorer or Astro - in both of those cases the app itself or the app listing on the Play Store will contain either a brief overview of "how to" or there will be a link to the developers' website where normally a reasonably full explanation of functions can be found.

Additionally, your Tab comes with a File Manager from Samsung which is pretty intuitive and will auto load (or at least it does on our Tab 2) when connecting external storage through the adapter. And finally, we got the external storage adapter to be able to read a 64gb Flash Drive - so the 32gb "limit" you mention doesn't really apply to external devices.

What you may want to try with your external 200gb drive is a powered USB hub as if the drive requires power from the USB port to activate it, it may not get enough from your Tab. If it has its own power, then that wouldn't be the case.

All the best
    Last edited by janner43; 10-26-2013 at 02:52 AM.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Thanks janner43.

I have the free version of file manager from Rhythm Software (V 1.16.0).

I will try the powered hub as suggested, however, wanted to use the Tab and HD while traveling OS. If I have to carry the hub as well, I might as well take the laptop.

Will look to their web site for overview.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Hi James

Perhaps one option for carrying storage with you while travelling would be with some inexpensive Flash drives or microSD cards. 3 x 64gb flash drives probably wouldn't cost much more than a powered USB hub & would give you a similar amount of storage space to your 200gb drive & they would be smaller & less prone to damage.

Cheers

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Thanks, I will have a hunt for 64gb SD cards.

Remove Ads

Ads