Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 4

Tab 4 Supported Video Formats

Hi, just purchased a Tab 4 10.1 to watch English crime shows in Sydney and very happy with it. Concerning video formats, I loaded an MP4 file and the
    supplied player invited me to convert it, which I did. It produced a very poor WMV file with severe pixellation in areas of solid colour. I then loaded the same MP4 file, ignored the invitation and the file played correctly, with much better quality. According to the manual, the Tab doesn't support MP4. Any thoughts onthis ? Is there a better video player for the Tab (I use VLC on my laptop) ? Also, do I need antivirus/malware software on my tablet (I use AVG on my PC)
    Thanks in advance for your help.

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Welcome to the forum

That's totally nuts. The MP4 format is one of the better supported formats in Android. With that said, the MP4 format is a container for different versions of the main file. In other words some MP4 files use different codecs. VLC Player is available for Android as is MX Player, also a good choice.

Yes, you probably should have AV protection, some is better than none. AVG and AVAST are 2 good choices.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 4

Thanks

Leeshor,

Thanks for the swift response. The Samsung website explicitly states that the Tab4 supports MP4 files, so I don't know why my machine insists on trying to
    convert them. I'll see if the VLC player has the same problem. As you say, it may just be the codec used in those particular files. Thanks also for the advice
    on antivirus. I find AVG quite power hungry on the PC, so maybe I'll give Avast a try

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Welcome to the site. Use AVG myself, works fine.

Remove Ads

Ads