Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 vs Apple iPad

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond.S.Ranch View Post
    Hi everyone, I'm new and have bought both the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and the Ipad2 from best buy and trying them both out as best I can before returning one. I wish I was more fairly comparing them but I am unable to get the new update with the touchwiz and such. I really like something about each one, but must say the biggest thing I hate about the Ipad 2 is the ugly app icons and how I can't change anything. I have never had an apple before (I have EVO) and I am so shocked that it is so popular still with how ugly it is and how you can't do anything to make it different at all, are iphones like that??, crazy. On the Ipad2 I can only add my wallpaper on it, so that is what I'd have to live with if I keep it. But very important to me is I do like that I have had no browser or wallpaper sizing or keyboard problems at all with the Ipad 2. I use a logitech keyboard/case with it and it's awesome. Very glad to know that they make onne also soon for the Galaxy tab too. I like the Galaxy because it's nice looking, very thin and is lighter IMO than the Ipad2. I love having the market to customize and have which weather widget I want etc... like that. I must say I am concerned about how the keyboards all are very lagging on me and mountainbikermark says the update will fix that, another reason I wish they would give me that update! I really like how I was able to get the Opera browser and have the numbered pages open at top and click it to see my pages just like on the Ipad2, I like that silly thing alot on the Ipad2. Gotta go for now, but I'll be back to tell everyone all the other things I've compared and my opinions on what I like an don't like. Thanks everybody!
    Welcome to this forum. Glad to see you made it over .
    One thing about this forum vs ipad.net is the members here are less likely to give you grief for liking another os. They both have their advantages.
    Did you decide on which to keep yet?

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone
    Support Our Troops!!!

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I bought my 10.1 3 weeks ago. I had some interaction with the iPad2 (a friend has one). To be honest the Honeycomb app market dissapointed. Hopefully it will be better then Android 4 will arrive to the 10.1.

To be perfectly fair and just I have to say that the iPad2 is smoother and the apps are better. Tab is sometimes sluggish when switching home screens...and I have only 3 widgets on them. Its even worse when using a live wallpaper. I thought that a dual core will be able to cope.

All in all, if the iPad had Android id buy it. But since it hasnt, i got the Tab 10.1.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Welcome to the site Radovan. Good to read reviews from those who have tried both.

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    I'll agree here - i have both the 10.1 and the iPad - the iPad is optimized for the user experience so when you are touching or swiping it dedicates its hardware resources in executing that task - as opposed to windows or android where it continues to execute background tasks

I would disagree with the comment on the market - for my needs i can almost always find an app i need for free...not as much on iPad. but the biggest + for me is the flexibility and customization you can acheive with it - it suits my urge to tinker well

Quote Originally Posted by Radovan View Post
    I bought my 10.1 3 weeks ago. I had some interaction with the iPad2 (a friend has one). To be honest the Honeycomb app market dissapointed. Hopefully it will be better then Android 4 will arrive to the 10.1.

To be perfectly fair and just I have to say that the iPad2 is smoother and the apps are better. Tab is sometimes sluggish when switching home screens...and I have only 3 widgets on them. Its even worse when using a live wallpaper. I thought that a dual core will be able to cope.

All in all, if the iPad had Android id buy it. But since it hasnt, i got the Tab 10.1.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi,

I've been in the market for a tablet over the last few weeks. I've watched lots of You Tube reviews and found out the top two contenders were the Apple IPad2 and the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1. Then, I've also read a significant amount of written reviews on these last two. Actually, it wasn't until I came across this very place that I really began making it through the decision process of whether to go for the IPad2 or the Samsung Galaxy tab 10.1.

I couldn't afford buying both tablets and then go through the elimination process, but what I did is, I purchased an IPad2 and have been trialing it for two days now. It's my first Apple product ever. I find the overall construction/feel to be of high quality. However, this is but one aspect of the main experience. I've also been able to trial a Samsung Galaxy tab display model while at Staples. I find it to be very nice overall and quite pleasant to use as well. Like many, I feel somewhat boxed in with my IPad2 - sure, it's user friendly and rather simple to use, but also very much limited so far as I can see (and also from reading other's experience with Apple products).

I really feel this forum is where I'm going to finally find what little is missing for me to make a final decision. Below, I'll try and cover what I've noticed and learned from my use of an IPad2 as well as from what I've read on the Galaxy tab. in order to help others help me in the decision process I'm going through.

Sound quality of the IPad2 is legit for a single speaker - I find the sound to be rather full with apparently a tad more bass than on the Galaxy tab. I'm not stunned, but pleasantly surprise at the sound of that IPad2. Now, in fairness, I've only been able to listen to the Galaxy tab. stereo sound speakers while trialing a display model at Staples - given how it's an open space, I don't think it did it full justice. Getting stereo sound sure is a plus, but I found it seemed to be lacking in the bass department. I also seem to recall having read something along these lines from someone's post on here.

For those who had the opportunity to trial both device at home, which did you feel sounded the best and why ? I understand this is quite subjective though, since audio preference is subject to a high degree of interpersonal variation.

The one Galaxy Tab I fiddled with at the store, I found to have a bit of typing lag - nothing major, but enough so for me to notice it. FWIW, I'm known to be highly perceptive, so any minor detail, I'll usually pick up.

I was told that, should my IPad's hardware failed somehow, that I'd walk out of the Apple store with a brand new one, whereas, things wouldn't be as straightforward as regard the Samsung Galaxy tab. Since there's no Samsung store so so speak, the only way for anyone to have any hardware issue fixed it to send it to Samsung for repair. Of course, Apple isn't going to replace my IPad is I dropped it and smashed the glass screen or anything that's not deemed as normal use. I guess tablets aren't anymore liable to malfunction (hardware wise) as are laptops - my point being that, I've had a good many laptops and none of them had any hardware glitch.

Going by the reviews I've seen/read on the Galaxy tab, some seem to have nothing but praise for that device, while others seem quite annoyed with it. From my own observation, I've seen people do things to their computers that I wouldn't personally do - same people are those who constantly seem to be running into bugs and all sort of software issues. Brother-in-law is one such instance - he's just so plain dumb around computers - I can't seem to recall just how many times I've had to help him fix bugs on various Windows install. My point in mentioning his own case isn't so much as to disparage him, but more so to point out that a number of those who find faults with the Galaxy tab (or any Android powered tablet in fact), might be the same type of people as my bother-in-law.

I've also heard that Samsung's CS is a far cry from that of Apple - the real question is : is there a higher number of lemons in tablet world as there are in the laptop one ?

What can I expect, should I purchased a Galaxy tab and that it turned out it to be a lemon, thus the need for me to send it in ? What is the usual turnaround time for when you send a device in to Samsung ? I've asked around and folks more knowledgeable than I have told me their CS is so-so. Would the experience really be quite different so far as Apple is concerned ?

While I understand that ''rooting'' a Galaxy tab opens up a world of possibilities, this is not something I'd do if I purchased one. I'm an in-between type of user, in that I'm not that much of a techie, yet I don't feel comfortable within the limitations of an IOS device. I've always owned PCs and have liked the experience so far - sure, I've had to work out a number of glitches under Windows, but that's ok, as I've learned a lot over the years and I hardly ever need a hand around my computers - if I do, I'll just perform a Google search and be done with it.

At this point, I'm wondering :

1. Generally speaking, is the Galaxy tab more liable to hardware glitches than the IPad2 ?

2. What can I expect from Samsung's CS, should I needed assistance in order to have my tab fixed ?

3. How buggy the galaxy tab really is ? I'm asking as I've heard some have found bugs to be quite annoying, while others don't seem to be experiencing any - could this be a case of the above mentioned type of user who somehow is his own worst enemy around computers ?

4. Clearly, surfing the web on a tablet, I do enjoy some peace of mind - that is, I might not want to have to rack my brains as much as I would expect on any Windows OS. Now, from what I've just said, it would appear that an IPad is my best bet, but on the other hand, I might not enjoy the web experience just as much using an IPad. Most Apple apps. are paid apps. whereas Android apps. seem to be free, at least for a large portion of them.

5. Flash app. unsupported in Apple products. Is this really going to be bothersome or is HTML5 replacing Flash at a fast pace ? Although I should've mentioned this earlier, I'm not much of a gamer - 97% of what I do using a computer/tablet is web surfing, posting on discussion boards, reading, Torrents. watching videos on You Tube and the likes.

While I've made a significant effort to bring up as many relevant points as I could, it's possible I've left out some important ones. Would anyone be so kind as to help me get that little push that's needed for me to make a decision ? At this point and with what I know about both devices here, I feel I'm on the bring of being able to make a very informed decision.

Many thanks in advance and should you have any questions, just fire away.

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    hi and welcome to the forum. I have both the iPad 2 and the tab and i will indeed give the iPad 2 the nod for UI responsiveness and ease of use. However after only a few weeks of use i found it very limiting - the difference i would say is an Android based tablet like the tab lets you do most of what YOU want to do, the iPad lets you do want it wants you to do.

examples - customization to me goes beyond just changing the wallpaper or icons, it is also changing the Ui to something that suits your personalilty. The experience to me is one of letting me explore as many aspects of the experience as i can - whether gonig to websites that have flash videos, or mkv videos or avi or html 5 - the tab lets me do those. Now the experience may not be consistent across all sites but at least i can do them. on the other hand ipad lets you explore only the sites that they support so tht cuts out a huge chunk of hte potential experience you can have. You already mentioned the apps - a lot more free to try apps in the Android world. Dont let the apple marketing on millions of apps fool you - data (seen it but dont have it handy) shows only a very small percentage are downloaded the most - the old 20-80 rule - 20% of the apps are downloaded 80% of the time. On the tabv, i can find all the apps i need to do what i need my tab to do and most of them are free.
    now to your points:
    1 - i don't find this to be the case - i\ve had my ipad freeze on me as mcuh as my tab.
    2 - CS goes to apple - Samsung CS is horrible, but thanks to many many user supported sites like this - when augmented with a little gumption to try things out, it helps alleviate that pain. I've almost always found a solution or work around to issue i've had
    3 - depends on wht you mean by buggy - there are soem apps that crash, some that freeze but i have had no issues that were showstoppers. honeycomb, the current OS on the tab is much improved by a number of custom ROMs you can download and try out for free
    4 - i disagree - many more sites work with the tab than an iPad.
    5 - html5 is the current talk of the town but don't let that fool you - the percentage of pure html 5 sites are still very few - many industry analysts think it would take at least 2 years for it to get to a level where you start noticing it. in the meantime majority of sites run flash/javascript, which are processor dependent so a much better processor would likely give you a better experience

I use my ipad 20% of the time. I'm constantly on my tab, reading/watching movies/netflix and trying out new custom roms

Quote Originally Posted by chipdouglas View Post
    At this point, I'm wondering :

1. Generally speaking, is the Galaxy tab more liable to hardware glitches than the IPad2 ?

2. What can I expect from Samsung's CS, should I needed assistance in order to have my tab fixed ?

3. How buggy the galaxy tab really is ? I'm asking as I've heard some have found bugs to be quite annoying, while others don't seem to be experiencing any - could this be a case of the above mentioned type of user who somehow is his own worst enemy around computers ?

4. Clearly, surfing the web on a tablet, I do enjoy some peace of mind - that is, I might not want to have to rack my brains as much as I would expect on any Windows OS. Now, from what I've just said, it would appear that an IPad is my best bet, but on the other hand, I might not enjoy the web experience just as much using an IPad. Most Apple apps. are paid apps. whereas Android apps. seem to be free, at least for a large portion of them.

5. Flash app. unsupported in Apple products. Is this really going to be bothersome or is HTML5 replacing Flash at a fast pace ? Although I should've mentioned this earlier, I'm not much of a gamer - 97% of what I do using a computer/tablet is web surfing, posting on discussion boards, reading, Torrents. watching videos on You Tube and the likes.

While I've made a significant effort to bring up as many relevant points as I could, it's possible I've left out some important ones. Would anyone be so kind as to help me get that little push that's needed for me to make a decision ? At this point and with what I know about both devices here, I feel I'm on the bring of being able to make a very informed decision.

Many thanks in advance and should you have any questions, just fire away.

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    You are spot on with the speakers. If bass is a must, either work fine with an external set but for me the stereo outweighs the bass and i use Bluetooth headphones most of the time anyway when sound really matters.
    Samsung customer support is very lacking , but mostly due to cs folks being poorly trained and communication from above to them is a joke. Should you need it fixed the average turn around time in the US is about 10 days from you shipping to getting it back.
    The keyboard lag could very well be the store model is running an older version of Honeycomb because the first release did have a very notice lag that has since been fixed.
    I have found my Tab to be less troublesome with crashes and freezes than my iPad 1, the iPad 2s I've messed with being better but not on par with my Tab. If i was still using my iPad I'd be broke and dissatisfied from having to buy an app for everything, including buying a friggin browser app to be able to upload files grrrrr.
    Flash: many many sites i surf use Flash for more than just video and surfing on my bank website ain't happening on my iPad due to no Flash. Embedded content can be a horrendous experience in anything ios.
    To be totally honest either is a good purchase but if service after the sale is the deciding factor, Apple wins hands down but, other than that I'd call it a wash for the average user who just wants to watch videos and surf the web.
    My Tab way outshines my iPad when it comes to multi tasking and trying to compute in a hurry. The iPad has too many multi tasks that must be done 1 at a time, taking forever to accomplish in todays instant world

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Sent from a Rezound phone via Blue TapaTalk
    Support Our Troops!!!

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks to both of you guys for your prompt responses - I might have a few more questions, but both your answers/postings were pretty helpful - thanks so much. I need to go to bed, but I'll add some more question in the morning, since some of the points you raised prompted more queries.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks for the welcome words.

the difference i would say is an Android based tablet like the tab lets you do most of what YOU want to do, the iPad lets you do want it wants you to do.
    I can see this is one of the main argument in favor of the tab - a valid one for certain ! Overall, you raised some very good points in favor of the tab.

I didn't know the IPad was as likely to freeze as the tab, so that's interesting.

CS goes to apple - Samsung CS is horrible, but thanks to many many user supported sites like this - when augmented with a little gumption to try things out, it helps alleviate that pain. I've almost always found a solution or work around to issue i've had
    1. You mentioned having had issues with your tab - what kind of issues have you specifically encountered so far ?

2. Is Samsung's CS horrible mainly because of very poor technical support and/or that also means major hassle to have your device fixed should the need arose ?

3. The question also becomes : how likely is it for me to bump into some serious hardware issues requiring me to send the tab in ? Given the purchase price and the bad reputation of Samsung's CS, this is something about which I'd like to get an idea ahead of time, although I think this is a rather difficult question to answer. I guess the best you can tell me is whether you've heard of many stories of people needing to send their tab in to Samsung for repair. Also, in fairness is an IPad just as likely to need sending in for repair ? Physically speaking, I'm always very gentle on electronics - not one to submit my tab or laptops to aberrant use ( i.e. not going to thump it against a table or something).

depends on what you mean by buggy - there are some apps that crash, some that freeze but i have had no issues that were showstoppers. honeycomb, the current OS on the tab is much improved by a number of custom ROMs you can download and try out for free
    Ok, so that probably answers #3 above.

I use my ipad 20% of the time
    May I ask what you use it for ? I'm guessing gaming...?

Once more, many thanks for taking some of your time to answer the above, as this is much appreciated.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Samsung customer support is very lacking , but mostly due to cs folks being poorly trained and communication from above to them is a joke. Should you need it fixed the average turn around time in the US is about 10 days from you shipping to getting it back.
    I'd expect similar turn around time in Canada, since I'm Canadian - However, it's always best when one doesn't need to send the device in for fixing.

The keyboard lag could very well be the store model is running an older version of Honeycomb because the first release did have a very notice lag that has since been fixed.
    Ok - I'm glad to know it's been ironed out.

I have found my Tab to be less troublesome with crashes and freezes than my iPad 1, the iPad 2s I've messed with being better but not on par with my Tab
    Really ? This is very interesting for me to learn about this - do you feel your experience reflects that of most other people on this board having both the Tab and an IPad2 ?

If i was still using my iPad I'd be broke and dissatisfied from having to buy an app for everything, including buying a friggin browser app to be able to upload files grrrrr.
    I hear you on the above - this is also how I'm starting to feel although I haven't had my IPad for long. There also seems to be lots of criticism about ITunes.

many many sites i surf use Flash for more than just video and surfing on my bank website ain't happening on my iPad due to no Flash
    Is Iswifter a good workaround for flash using an IPad ? If not Iswifter, are there any other fine workarounds for Flash player required apps. on an IPad ?

To be totally honest either is a good purchase but if service after the sale is the deciding factor, Apple wins hands down but, other than that I'd call it a wash for the average user who just wants to watch videos and surf the web.
    I'm in the process of determining whether service after the sale is an important point to me. I've never had to use any technical support for Windows or any computer that I've owned so far, but that's cause all I've encountered were software glitches, not hardware. Now, I'm totally new to tablets and I don't know whether I can expect as much reliabiliy with them as I have had with all of my computers over the years - this is why I wrote that I'm trying to find out whether service after the sale is important to me so far as tablets are concerned.

My Tab way outshines my iPad when it comes to multi tasking and trying to compute in a hurry. The iPad has too many multi tasks that must be done 1 at a time, taking forever to accomplish in todays instant world
    Very good point that you raised above - in this day and age, multitasking is oh so relevant. I'm starting to think about trading my IPad for a tab.

Thank you very much for your time and advice.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads