Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 vs Apple iPad

  1. #1
    Administrator
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    76
    Member #
    1
    Liked
    4 times

    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 vs Apple iPad

    Here's a quick video comparison of the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10,1 vs the first generation Apple iPad



    Source: Netbooknews - Netbooks, Netbook Reviews, Smartbooks and more

  2. #2
    Quasar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colonial Heights Virginia
    Posts
    2,163
    Member #
    196
    Liked
    95 times
    What I have found on my real world comparison is the screen us MUCH more realistic on the Tab when side by side. I thought the ipad screen was very nice and accurate until I put the 10.1 beside it, then it seems a little white washed compared to the Tab with identical photos from my galleries.
    I never noticed a seeming lag on my ipad until comparing the 2 but with the hardware difference I'd expect some difference using the same apps like Splashtop, Text+, etc where there isn't much difference in design and layout.
    I thought I was going to continue to prefer the 4x3 layout of the ipad vs 16x9 of the Tab but since I use both 99% of the time in landscape I have developed a non preference between the 2, whereas on the Xoom it was more dramatic, possibly due to weight.
    Wifi difference from my linksysE1000 router is about 10' farther, when outside, for the ipad to be usable but both are well away from my house by at least 75', which makes either very usable for star gazing at night. Star Walk app destroys anything on Android fwiw.
    Battery life in the ipad 1 wins by about 2 hours (9 vs 7) with both wifi only, screens auto bright off and as low as they will go. The Tab is brighter on lowest setting, more like the ipad 2 bright, which seems almost blinding in a dark room at first but many apps, like Kindle, Keeper, and Tecarta Bible, have night view capability for a black background.
    The stock browser on the Tab makes Safari look like ie1 in comparison. Ios5 is supposed to be a total revamp of Safari as well as adding stuff that should have never been left off of a phone or tablet.
    The stereo sound of the Tab is almost unfair to compare but the volume is fine on both devices, the ipad being a bit more bassy . With headphones it's a toss up in the stock players sound quality to me.
    The stock music player, imo, wins on the Tab because it is not enslaved to itunes. the few songs on my ipad sound very nice and accurate with headphones on but because of itunes and my hatred of it I don't have many songs to compare sound quality to vs the thousands of cd to mp3 I have in my collection.
    I won't really get into which platform has more apps, Honeycomb is on the ground level and isn't just an os for a phone but for my apps that I have on both only NASA works a lot better on the ipad than Tab. I have a few productivity apps like Keeper, Dropbox, etc on all of my devices and they all are well done on each. Kid Mode, which uses Flash, wins hands down on the Tab because half of its abilities can't be used on Apple. For my toddlers usage the Apple half (videos and painting) are not interesting to her whereas the half that Android is capable of (games) she uses over and over and has been for over a year. Splashtop made it so she could play PBS Kids games, on the ipad, by manipulating the desktop but Kid Mode is her preference.
    Anyway that is my side by side of my ipad 1 and Galaxy 10.1.


    Support Our Troops!!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from this Galaxy
    Last edited by Mountainbikermark; 07-08-2011 at 01:08 PM.
    Support Our Troops!!!

  3. #3
    Polaris
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Nor Cal
    Posts
    1,212
    Member #
    117
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikermark View Post
    What I have found on my real world comparison is the screen us MUCH more realistic on the Tab when side by side. I thought the ipad screen was very nice and accurate until I put the 10.1 beside it, then it seems a little white washed compared to the Tab with identical photos from my galleries.
    I never noticed a seeming lag on my ipad until comparing the 2 but with the hardware difference I'd expect some difference using the same apps like Splashtop, Text+, etc where there isn't much difference in design and layout.
    I thought I was going to continue to prefer the 4x3 layout of the ipad vs 16x9 of the Tab but since I use both 99% of the time in landscape I have developed a non preference between the 2, whereas on the Xoom it was more dramatic, possibly due to weight.
    Wifi difference from my linksysE1000 router is about 10' farther, when outside, for the ipad to be usable but both are well away from my house by at least 75', which makes either very usable for star gazing at night. Star Walk app destroys anything on Android fwiw.
    Battery life in the ipad 1 wins by about 2 hours (9 vs 7) with both wifi only, screens auto bright off and as low as they will go. The Tab is brighter on lowest setting, more like the ipad 2 bright, which seems almost blinding in a dark room at first but many apps, like Kindle, Keeper, and Tecarta Bible, have night view capability for a black background.
    The stock browser on the Tab makes Safari look like ie1 in comparison. Ios5 is supposed to be a total revamp of Safari as well as adding stuff that should have never been left off of a phone or tablet.
    The stereo sound of the Tab is almost unfair to compare but the volume is fine on both devices, the ipad being a bit more bassy . With headphones it's a toss up in the stock players sound quality to me.
    The stock music player, imo, wins on the Tab because it is not enslaved to itunes. the few songs on my ipad sound very nice and accurate with headphones on but because of itunes and my hatred of it I don't have many songs to compare sound quality to vs the thousands of cd to mp3 I have in my collection.
    I won't really get into which platform has more apps, Honeycomb is on the ground level and isn't just an os for a phone but for my apps that I have on both only NASA works a lot better on the ipad than Tab. I have a few productivity apps like Keeper, Dropbox, etc on all of my devices and they all are well done on each. Kid Mode, which uses Flash, wins hands down on the Tab because half of its abilities can't be used on Apple. For my toddlers usage the Apple half (videos and painting) are not interesting to her whereas the half that Android is capable of (games) she uses over and over and has been for over a year. Splashtop made it so she could play PBS Kids games, on the ipad, by manipulating the desktop but Kid Mode is her preference.
    Anyway that is my side by side of my ipad 1 and Galaxy 10.1.


    Support Our Troops!!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from this Galaxy
    I gotta say i have the same impressions plus for me the big plus is being able to hop on websites and watch the videos on that site - yes flash is still very much ubiquitous..

    Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Quasar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colonial Heights Virginia
    Posts
    2,163
    Member #
    196
    Liked
    95 times
    Splashtop is a nice work around for Flash in ios but I got tired if work arounds

    Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone
    Support Our Troops!!!

  5. #5
    Sirius
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    257
    Member #
    50
    Liked
    5 times
    I love my tablet. When I played on my friends ipad 2 it didn't feel special. Widgets and customization is what makes me love android. However there needs to be more apps and the ones we have need to have bugs fixed

  6. #6
    Quasar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colonial Heights Virginia
    Posts
    2,163
    Member #
    196
    Liked
    95 times
    The first generation iphone had way more bugs than honeycomb or eclair and unless you were into fart apps there were fewer to choose from than Android at its inception

    Support Our Troops!!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from this Galaxy
    Support Our Troops!!!

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    XXXXX
    Posts
    2,108
    Member #
    87
    Liked
    40 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Thank you Mountainbikermark, for a very thoughtful comparison.

  8. #8
    Sirius
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    257
    Member #
    50
    Liked
    5 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikermark View Post
    The first generation iphone had way more bugs than honeycomb or eclair and unless you were into fart apps there were fewer to choose from than Android at its inception

    Support Our Troops!!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from this Galaxy
    Not an apple fan, but iphone was the first of it's kind to be successful. Android has always had something to model off and have a comparison to.

    I have HTC Desire and Galaxy 10.1. The only thing I have of apples is 2nd gen Ipod Nano. However, I do feel there is a lack of quality apps. This doesn't mean there is one great app but one thing, but several good apps for one thing so the consumer has a choice. This is not a slight to Android, but as time goes by there WILL be a variety of quality apps and I'll have nothing to complain about.

  9. #9
    Quasar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Colonial Heights Virginia
    Posts
    2,163
    Member #
    196
    Liked
    95 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
    Not an apple fan, but iphone was the first of it's kind to be successful. Android has always had something to model off and have a comparison to.

    I have HTC Desire and Galaxy 10.1. The only thing I have of apples is 2nd gen Ipod Nano. However, I do feel there is a lack of quality apps. This doesn't mean there is one great app but one thing, but several good apps for one thing so the consumer has a choice. This is not a slight to Android, but as time goes by there WILL be a variety of quality apps and I'll have nothing to complain about.
    An app called Spare Parts opens another world for available Tab apps. I literally have every app on my phone on my Tab as well except phone call oriented ones and they all orient just fine.

    Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone
    Support Our Troops!!!

  10. #10
    Cassiopeia
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    2
    Member #
    896
    Liked
    0 times
    Hi everyone, I'm new and have bought both the Samsung Galaxy 10.1 and the Ipad2 from best buy and trying them both out as best I can before returning one. I wish I was more fairly comparing them but I am unable to get the new update with the touchwiz and such. I really like something about each one, but must say the biggest thing I hate about the Ipad 2 is the ugly app icons and how I can't change anything. I have never had an apple before (I have EVO) and I am so shocked that it is so popular still with how ugly it is and how you can't do anything to make it different at all, are iphones like that??, crazy. On the Ipad2 I can only add my wallpaper on it, so that is what I'd have to live with if I keep it. But very important to me is I do like that I have had no browser or wallpaper sizing or keyboard problems at all with the Ipad 2. I use a logitech keyboard/case with it and it's awesome. Very glad to know that they make onne also soon for the Galaxy tab too. I like the Galaxy because it's nice looking, very thin and is lighter IMO than the Ipad2. I love having the market to customize and have which weather widget I want etc... like that. I must say I am concerned about how the keyboards all are very lagging on me and mountainbikermark says the update will fix that, another reason I wish they would give me that update! I really like how I was able to get the Opera browser and have the numbered pages open at top and click it to see my pages just like on the Ipad2, I like that silly thing alot on the Ipad2. Gotta go for now, but I'll be back to tell everyone all the other things I've compared and my opinions on what I like an don't like. Thanks everybody!


 
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

bible for samsung galaxy tab
,

galaxy tab 10.1 vs ipad 1

,
galaxy tab 10.1 vs ipad1
,
galaxy tab 10.1 x ipad 1
,

ipad 1 vs galaxy tab 10.1

,

ipad 1 vs samsung galaxy tab 10.1

,
ipad first generation vs galaxy tab 10.1
,
ipad first generation vs galaxy tab 2
,
samsung galaxy tab 10.1 vs ipad 1
,
star walk galaxy tab
Click on a term to search our site for related topics.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.2.2
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:30 PM.