Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Using Tab as a Wireless Mouse and Keyboard?

Im looking for a way to lay in bed or on the couch and use my galaxy tab as a wireless mouse and keyboard to my PC or laptop. I was looking for something that would disable wallpapers and video on the tablet only (without effecting the host computer). I have alternating wallpapers as my background, so it kind of lags the refresh rate. I would need the screen to be fully vizable through the tablet (minus the background and videos) as I would like to use while Im outside. My PC is hooked up to my receiver and speakers so I can play music while Im doin a BBQ outside or working in the yard. I play a lot of anime and so I'd like to be able to just navigate the UI of the mediaplayer open but have just a blacked screen where the video is supposed to be on the tablet. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have tried logmein, but the lag is pretty bad and had no specific disable features (IE video, background/wallpaper, etc...) for the tablet device. it was pretty much just Host screen on or off.
    I also looked into Wyse PocketCloud Pro. This seemed to be the best next option, but again, lacks the disable features that I'd be looking for.
    PhoneMyPC seemed to be the next option, but again, lacks the speed and disable features Im looking for.
    For the specific reason Im wanting it, the app could be restricted to Home Netowork as I would only be using it at home and does not need file transfer capabilities or anything like that. If the speed is smooth enough disable features are not absolutely necessary, but I figure playing an anime or movie on the host computer and seeing it on the tablet could only resault in lag, if not a full crash of the app.

I have a Galaxy Tab 10.1 Rooted

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    I have zero experience of this sort of thing, but on the Asus Transformer range, Asus provide an app called MyCloud which uses a version of Splashtop to allow the tablet to fully remotely control a PC, displaying the PC screen on the tablet.

I think I would look further down the Splashtop route if I were you, as it works very well on the TF.

There are various versions of the app on the Play Store - this from the free version recently released...

Splashtop 2 - Remote Desktop

* Access all your programs and files with 100% compatibility, including all your desktop applications and office & PDF documents.
    * Watch all kinds of videos, including Flash videos, DVDs, Media Player, that are only playable on your computer.
    * Listen to music in any format on your computer (WMV, Real, WMA, MP3, AAC, etc.).
    * Play 3D games or all the Flash and Java games.
    * Control your computer naturally with intuitive touch experience (with Windows 8 gestures support)

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab

Using Tab as a Wireless Mouse and Keyboard?

If you are looking for a remote mouse and keyboard, there are apps for that (search the play store for "mouse PC" without quotes.

But, sounds to me like you may want a Remote Desktop solution.

I would suggest Splashtop 2.
    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    I would suggest Splashtop 2.
    There's an echo in here...

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    First off, I'd like to thank you both for taking a moment and trying to help me out, I appreciate it very much. I did look into the Splashtop 2, and then downloaded it. In regards to it's streaming to the tablet, it's rather impressive. There are still some major downsides though... When I start up a connection to my computer, my computer itself defaults to certain settings. For instance, the fading effect for the alternating wallpaper for my computer background stops, the resolution on the computer goes way down, and the windows 7 UI Theme defaults to more solid based settings. Worse, is that once I disconnect, even close splashtop, the settings do not return to normal, I have to manually restart the computer. Is there any way to change how the computer itself behaves by default when a connection is made? I've tried going through settings"settings" and "Others", but there don't seem to be ANY options for these matters other than if the computer should be Muted or not.
    Last edited by varxtis; 01-25-2013 at 09:03 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    I use Splashtop2 quite regularly.

When looking at the computer connections availble in the Splashtop 2 main screen, there is a square with a pencil on the right. Tap this and you can change the display resolution settings. Choose the "Use computer's native display setting". I have a TF101 with a 1280x800 display, and it nicely displays the 1280x1080p of my work laptop screen.

As far as disabling the Aero Glass, that may have to do with your computer's performance. The laptop I am using has graphics benchmarks of 6.0 for the Windows Experinece Index out of a possible 7.9. This may get disabled by your computer when you run splashtop because one reason that it works so well is that there is video compression done to allow the connection to use less bandwidth. Splashtop is so much smoother than RDP because of this. My dual core 2.8 GHz process runs about 40% when using splashtop and is mostly idle otherwise. If not using splashtop it is more like 3-5%.

And, even when I use a different (lower) resolution, when disconnecting my computer returns to the original resolution (and Aero Glass is never disabled).
    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Oh, sweet... I found the resolution setting you were referring to in Splashtop 2 on the tablet. Thank you, that makes it a lot better. In regards to my other questions, Im guess the wallpaper fader effect falls into the same catagory as the Aero Glass theme being automatically disabled when logged in... I mean, I would LOVE for it to be disabled on the tablet, but I REALLY don't like the fact that it effects the host computers settings. But oh well, trial and error.
    Originally I had another comment, but after posting, I realized you already addressed it in you comment, so I edited this post (just in case you're subscribed or something) Sry

So after choosing keep native resolution and then connecting, all the other problems went away. Thats epic man thank you again. its deeply appreciated ate.
    Last edited by varxtis; 01-25-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Glad to have helped - if only with a little suggestion.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Wow awesome am new here, I dint new that i can also use my tab as a Wireless Mouse and Keyboard, will follow this thread, Please someone throw me to the link where i can get all instruction in making my device as a wireless mouse n keyboard
    Last edited by jisellegome; 07-05-2013 at 02:54 AM.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Brilliant!, was about to get wireless keyboard with mousepad built in but noneed now thanks to this forum

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads