Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

BBC iPlayer/Media Player Does Not Work

It's a Galaxy Tab 2 Model GT-P5110. Just Wi-Fi no Mobile

When I try to watch anything using the BBC iPlayer/Media Player App, I hit the play button get the circling arrow and after about 15 second I get the message 'This content doesn't seem to be working. Please check your network connection'

I have tried it on 2 Wi-Fi networks ranging from 3.5 to 10 Mbits/sec. Other Apps work like BBC Radio, watching live BBC, BBC sport App & 4oD. This is driving me mad. My suspicion is that the App/Tab is trying to us a non-existing mobile connection but never tries the Wi-Fi. Tried to run from Chrome Broswer but that needs Flashplayer which isn't supported anymore (although I have seen that you can still get it from other sources)

I'm pretty sure Apps etc are up to date?

Any suggestions please. Thanks

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Welcome to the forum

First of all I suggest uninstalling the iPlayer app, rebooting & then reinstalling the app. That often helps in situations like you describe.

However, I believe your device has recently received an OS update to 4.2 & that might be the problem here. With any significant update to the OS (as with your most recent firmware update) it is often necessary to undertake some simple housekeeping tasks to get good results.

I suggest the following steps...
    1. Go to device settings, application manager & swipe from right to left until you have the "all" list displayed

2. Find the iPlayer app clear the cache & then force close the app. Exit from settings (tap home button) & power off your device.

3. Having done all that...
    * Hold down Power + Volume UP at the same time.
    * When the Samsung startup screen shows, release the power button and continue to hold the UP button.
    * When you see the various options on screen, choose the "clear cache" option. That will clear the OS system cache for you.

Now try your device again. Hopefully you will find that it is much improved. If the app still gives you problems, it may well be that it has not been updated to cope with the new version of Android & you should contact the BBC app developers for further help.

This won't have anything to do with Adobe flash. But there is a guide thread all about that subject linked from my signature which you may find useful.

Hope that helps & all the best

(Thread moved from "New Members" to Applications)

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Hi and thanks for quick reply

Firstly it's running 4.1.1 (only had it since June).

I did Items 1 & 2 in your suggestions - although have done this before plus re-installing the BBC iPlayer & Media player Apps.

When I do item 3 I get a screen that gives me an option to download a custom OS with the Volume down button or Volume up to cancel (restart phone), why does it call it a phone? Back to one of my suspicions that the App is trying to use a non-existing mobile connection!

I think there is some incompatibility between the App and OS. Do I need to go to 4.2, if so how, or do I wait for it to be pushed?

There must be other with same problem, however googling doesn't seem to show any.

Thanks.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    The "restart phone" wording is just a legacy of the origins of Android Perhaps the 4.2 update has not yet been pushed out in your region yet?

The BBC iPlayer app is known for being pretty poor on Android, however, and only gets a 2.9 / 5 rating on the Play Store which is pretty poor. I see the app was updated on 5 September.

DOWNLOADS ARE HERE for a range of devices running ICS or above!
    -Download TV shows for free
    -Watch on your way to work, on holiday, or keep your kids quiet in the car, with no buffering and no network connection
    -Keep downloads for up to 30 days. They expire 7 days after 1st play
    -Programmes download over WiFi only
    -Download in Standard or High Quality
    And we’ll be enabling more devices over the next few months.
    What else is included?
    -Android 4.3 support
    -Other BBC apps
    -Crash and bug fixes
    I see that the recommended route for using the app is...

We have developed the BBC Media Player app to improve video streaming playback on Android devices. You will need to install this separately from the Google Play marketplace.

To make installation of the BBC Media Player as easy as possible, BBC iPlayer will prompt you to install it when you first play a streamed programme.
    So perhaps another idea would be to install the Clean Master app from the Play Store. Then uninstall both iPlayer & Media Player and use Clean Master to ensure there are no legacy files left over from those two apps.

Then reboot your Tab & router and install the iPlayer app. Let it tell you to install the Media Player app & then try again.

In closing, I found this more detailed description of the cache clearing process, but as I do not have your device I cannot confirm its accuracy, so proceed carefully as it looks as if it would be very easy to wipe the device (a Factory Reset) so that you would loose all your user data.

You don't really want to do a complete Factory Reset of the device just for this glitch, I wouldn't have thought & when our Tab 2 7.0 received it's 4.2 update a couple of months back I cleared the system cache as I originally described and it has been as steady as a rock with no glitches following the update.

So if you do decide to try clearing the system cache again, then proceed at your own risk - carefully

Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 - go to recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up and Power buttons together. In the recovery mode, perform data wiping task by selecting wipe data/factory reset and then select Wipe Cache Partition. When the wiping task is done, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now. In recovery mode, use the Volume buttons to navigate between options and the Power button to select the desired option.
    Last edited by janner43; 09-27-2013 at 10:07 AM.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Cool Fix Based on Posts above. Galaxy Tab 2 7" BBC Radioplayer

I can confirm that the following fixes the problem on Galaxy Tab 2 7" running 4.2.2 (I followed the threads above and thanks to all who spent the time looking for solutions)

The Solution

BACKUP YOUR DEVICE

Remove BBC Iplayer, BBC Radioplayer and the BBC Media Player Apps

Use an app such as Clean Master (Check what is currently recommended on the App Store however as this can change over time) - to clean caches, old files etc.

REBOOT the device

And install the BBC Radio Player - curiously it wont try to install the Media Player App now - which I think is a good thing.

You should find that you can now play on demand radio and live streams without interruption.

This makes it unnecessary to wipe your device as a fix (Although I would make sure you backup the device prior to doing the above.

Hope this helps someone

Strax
    janner43 likes this.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Welcome to the forum Strax

CleanMaster is an excellent app - as is CM Security, it's partner app.

Remove Ads

Ads