Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Battery Saving Techniques

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times

Battery Saving Techniques

The number 1 user of your battery is your screen. The dimmer you keep it the less battery it will use but even at fully dim that beautiful screen comes with a price, battery use. Auto is a help ,if you do a lot of moving into different lights, because it helps keep your screen at a level easier to use but it is also brighter than you may need. Use auto bright only as needed. Set your back light time out to as short a time as convenient to again save on battery being used on a screen that isn't being used for more savings.
    One of the biggest wastes of battery power is a Task Killer app. The following helps explain why
    http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/02...dont-need-one/
    Turning off your radios such as wifi, 3g/4g, bluetooth, stand alone gps can also help quite a bit. Wifi uses as much as 30% less, depending on signal, than 3g/4g so use wifi as often as possible and turn the 3g/4g radios off if you are running a non wifi only version. Bluetooth uses power at a steady, but considerable, rate so turn it off when not needed. If you plan on not using your Tab for a few hours. The stand alone gps is a very handy addition but, again, turn off when not needed. When checking weather apps and such let the "use wireless location" and the "use location for Google search" ones do the work before using the standalone. Many apps don't actually need the standalone.
    Hope that helps.
    If anyone has any other tips they have found helps them save battery please add to this thread.

Support Our Troops!!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved
    Sent from this Galaxy
    StuPC and Beeblebrox like this.
    Support Our Troops!!!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Great post - I'm conviced that, when comparing the Tab to the iPad, that is the biggest disadvange of the Tab - but there are ways to make life a little more conserving:
    here are my additions:
    1) Disabled the vibration upon pressing the screen.
    2) Disabled the constant syncing of my email, twitter (I just press the "sync" button if I want to see if I got an email)
    3) For those who read ebooks - in a room full of light, switch to "night view" - background is black - less battery.
    4) I canceled the flipping of the screen (horizontal/vertical) especially because I mostly use it vertically.
    5) I tend to cancel WiFi unless I'm not 1-5meters away form the spot. If the signal is too low the battery will be drained very fast.
    6) Updated to TouchWiz

I'm not sure about killing apps when idle - if there is anyone who can elaborate on that (does it actually help the battery/or not) I would appreciate that.

Doing the above I was able to get 3-4 days with sporadic usage on the tab.
    Beeblebrox likes this.

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    7) configured the screen's light to the minimum and increased it only when necessary. Not great, does not look fun, but I prefer to consume less energy.

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    The cpu is the app battery user . Android wants to fill the RAM via the way it operates. Killing them only causes them to start back up by themselves, using cpu and battery to do so. A Task Killer set to max kill can also make your Android device run unstable as well.
    Let the efficient Linux based OS kill apps if it needs the RAM.
    Watch Dog Lite is a fun free app to see how the OS performs

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone
    Last edited by Mountainbikermark; 08-30-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    Support Our Troops!!!

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Another saver I just remembered because of the above posts by Gingi is widgets. Widgets that sniff for info, such as weather widgets do, data usage, etc cause the unit to sync, using cpu as well so minimize the number of those and set the sync times as far apart as convenient.

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone
    Support Our Troops!!!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    Thanks. So according to your suggestion - I should remove the Advance Task Killer App, ha?

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Put it on manual kill. If you have an app go rogue on you it is faster than the going into settings method. Sometimes an update to an app may cause things to act up so a manual kill helps find the culprit if you update many at once is one example of them having a use.
    On my phone a few updates ago the Google Maps update introduced a bug where it didn't shut down when done and the ATK was a faster way to kill it when done until the next update fixed it.
    Support Our Troops!!!

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Live wallpapers use cpu, even when in sleep mode, using battery as well. Some are slight, some are huge.
    I have posted a thread called "circular battery indicator" that is a battery widget that embeds in the lower tray and uses 0 battery polling for data because it doesn't poll. When the battery level changes it sends a report to the widget but the widget never goes searching for an update (polling), so it uses virtually 0 battery via the cpu working.
    Support Our Troops!!!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Device
    Galaxy Note 8
    Another thing that could help save battery too is less frequent syncing of apps. For apps that can save or backup to the cloud, you'll want to look at their sync frequency and determine often you need it running. If you sync often and don't have good wifi signal, that will drain the battery.

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Unlike my Incredible 2 I have not found any need to conserve the battery other than turning off GPS when not needed. I play with this new toy well into the evening and have never got it below 40%ish (7am-midnight) and that includes some Netflix and Dish Sling.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads