Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Maps App - How to Get Directions?

I open the Maps app that comes on the Tab.
    I touch the magnifying glass icon and enter the destination address. It comes up.
    I press the little balloon, and all it does is show the address again.
    My understanding was that it should bring up options like "get directions", which is what I want.
    (I _did_ try using the browser's Google Maps page, but the keyboard kept going away and not reappearing, so I thought I should try the included Tab/Android maps app.)
    Nothing.
    I don't see where to press to get directions.
    I would like to do that, then be able to add or re-arrange via points, the sort of thing I can do in Google Maps on any netbook or PC.
    What am I missing?
    I love lots of things about the Tab experience, but so far it's much less usable than my new Android phone (HTC Incredible), which I've had for only a week longer, but which makes a lot more sense in general. Sigh.

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    I've tried to replicate your problem but can't get it to mess up.
    Have you tried looking in the market for Google Maps and see if there is an update? For whatever reason it doesn't show up as needing an update when you go to MyApps if it has an update available. I want to say I needed an update right after I got my Tab. Also look up Street View as I don't think it is onboard Maps from the box, if memoery serves.
    Incredible 1 or 2? I ask because I've had an Inc 1 for 13 months and am still in the honeymoon phase with it.

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk
    Support Our Troops!!!

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsoncpu View Post
    I open the Maps app that comes on the Tab.
    I touch the magnifying glass icon and enter the destination address. It comes up.
    I press the little balloon, and all it does is show the address again.
    My understanding was that it should bring up options like "get directions", which is what I want.
    (I _did_ try using the browser's Google Maps page, but the keyboard kept going away and not reappearing, so I thought I should try the included Tab/Android maps app.)
    Nothing.
    I don't see where to press to get directions.
    I would like to do that, then be able to add or re-arrange via points, the sort of thing I can do in Google Maps on any netbook or PC.
    What am I missing?
    I love lots of things about the Tab experience, but so far it's much less usable than my new Android phone (HTC Incredible), which I've had for only a week longer, but which makes a lot more sense in general. Sigh.
    In maps click on the diamond icon on the top right rows of icons

Note you can also go to the navigation app which is an app that looks like a blue arrow

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    AT, I did exactly as the op and directions was an option, unlike theirs.
    In Maps try going into the upper right corner and tapping the icon I have circled in the photo, go to Labs, enable Bubble Buttons and see if that helps.
    It may seem silly but make sure your gps is on. You don't need the standalone. On the center one of the 3 choices, the " use wireless networks at least. I keep mine on always. Even though my Tab is wifi only it still knows where I am when I have that enabled and, unlike the standalone gps, doesn't use any extra battery. It's under settings, loacation and security

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mountainbikermark; 10-16-2011 at 11:37 AM.
    Support Our Troops!!!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    I think I installed Google Navigate on my Samsung Charge and that turned it into a Garmin killer. Might be worth a go.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    OP Here.... I tried this. GPS was already on... I tried that button before. Did it again. No directions option listed.
    When I go to the Market it says Maps is listed under the downloads area but marked not installed, but it also says Uninstall Updates.
    plus the app IS available via an icon.
    So it seems to be really messed up. I will try uninstaling it and trying again.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    well, it can't :-) be uninstalled, it won't update, it won't let itself be listed under my apps as installed, only as uninstalled.... it officially sux.
    A Google app that won't play nice on my Android device. Ironic.
    I could try using Yahoo maps!

Remove Ads

Ads