Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1

Task Manager

When I go to the task manager, I have 2 options:

- Active applications & RAM Manager

At times, the Active Applications is blank - however - when I switch to RAM manager it looks like lots of the RAM is being used.

For example, right now the Active apps is blank and RAM Manager indicates 443 MB out of 724MB is being used. I went in and hit "Clear Memory", it tells me 18 applications were just closed???

What gives??? My Active Apps said zero???

I'm confused...

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Android works differently than Windows. With Windows having a lot,or most, RAM being used is a bad thing. With Android the system thinks ahead of t what it guesses (for lack of a better word) you use most and goes ahead and gets it ready to run, using RAM, so that when you start the operation it will start up faster.
    That is why task killers are a potential problem on Android. They keep cleaning the RAM and can inadvertently clean the os in the wrong places, causing freezes and crashes.
    Each time an app starts back up, which Android is going to do, it uses cpu, causing battery drain. The more often your Tab kills things that just start back up anyway, the more cpu cycles are being wasted, causing battery usage being wasted and sluggish performance.
    I suggested Watch Dog in another thread because you can not only see what is running but how often, what, how much cpu it uses, etc, your apps and services are doing. You can set an alert to let you know if something is running in the background above a cpu threshold, which happens when apps go rogue, and kill it or keep an eye on it. It's really neat program to see how Android works in the background as well as help you maximize your battery life and performance

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mountainbikermark; 11-22-2011 at 08:59 PM.
    Support Our Troops!!!

Remove Ads

Ads