Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times

Need a Device Driver

My shiny new GT10.1 arrived this afternoon and everything seemed to be working great until I tried to connect with my computer. Windows XP showed a CDC serial device (not the external storage device I expected) and could not find the device driver. It installed the tablet as a dumb camera instead. I could view the files on the tablet, but it would not let me copy files from my computer to the tablet.

I visited the Samsung site and found a device driver on the software download page for the GT10.1, but nothing happened when I clicked the download icon. On the off chance that the driver got installed without the usual dialog boxes, I rebooted and tried again. No luck.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

UPDATE 5:45 PM

I tried this again with my laptop which runs Vista with mixed, but ultimately successful results. When I first plugged in the tablet, I got the usual dialog boxes for a new device which , after several minutes produced a "device is ready to use message. But when I pulled up the "My Computer" window, it wasn't there. While doing this, Vista proceeded to install the driver again and again.

Then I got lucky. Vista had contacted Windows Update while the above was going on and found the driver update I'd tried to download from Samsung. After installing and rebooting I got some more dialog boxes and finally , it worked.

Lessons Learned thus far:

1)If you are running XP you may have a problem such as I've described. I can't tell if the problem is just my setup or if it has a wider impact .

2) If you are running Vista, and you have the kind of problem I describe, try going to Windows Update and downloading the driver update from them.
    Last edited by fractal38; 06-21-2011 at 05:58 PM. Reason: additional information

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    21 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Glad you got it all sorted out fractal38!

Remove Ads

Ads