Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Proplems I've had with some solutions

I’ve had the GT10.1 for a since it was released and although I really enough the Honeycomb 3.1 OS, I’m afraid that a number of problems/glitches/bugs are causing me to second guess my purchase. I’m going to give it another week (final return date) to see what Samsung or Google might do to address any of these known issues or until I find a work-around. (FYI, I don’t really like that there has to be work-arounds for brand new software….)

Issues/Fixes:
    1. Defaults to load mobile sites over desktops sites.
    -Would be nice if there was an easy toggle for this, but I have found a way to correct it.
    FIX: In the address bar, type: about:debug and press enter. Now open the browser's settings by tapping the icon in the very top-right corner of your screen (it looks like four horizontal lines) and selecting "Settings" from the drop-down menu that appears. On the left side of the screen, tap the section labeled "Debug." On the right side of the screen, tap the item labeled "UAString," then select "Desktop." Press the back button (in the very bottom-left corner of your screen) to exit the browser's settings. In the browser's address bar, type: about:debug once more; this will disable debugging mode and return the browser to its normal state.

2. Music/Video naming and organization
    -This is more of a nuisance problem than a software/hardware problem. Where I do like the fact that the GT10.1 is a stand-a-lone device (unlike apple which needs itunes for nearly everything), having some media organization software/apps would REALLY take things to the next level! My problem, when I copied my music and video over to the tab, it retained and displayed only the file names when organizing them. Like most, I have a collection of music I have assembled throughout the years and was able to modify artists and names though itunes. Now I have some music under the artists name and the rest lumped into an Unknown Artist category.
    FIX: So far, none. The only advice I was given was to rename all my song files a specific way that the tab would display correctly. I’m not doing that for over 1000 songs.

3. Loaded Videos won’t play
    -I would receive the error, “Sorry, Unable to play video file” when trying to play a MP4 or WMV file, some of which I allowed the tab to convert upon loaded (by accident). After a while, no video would play, even youtube.
    FIX: I just shut it down, and boot’her back up. That seems to have fixed things.
    -NOTE: I am still not able to stream video from Apple’s site, does anyone know for a fact if it is because Android software is not compatible with quicktime or MOV?

4. All night charge but will not turn on – Dead Tab
    -Weird thing, I charged it all night, woke up in the morning and the power button did nothing. First thought, I didn’t have it plugged in all the way. I plugged it back in for 10, checked, nothing, still dead.
    FIX: If you hold both the power and the volume buttons down for a short while, it will boot up. Then, just power down and boot up as normal.

5. Type lag
    -There is quite a delay when typing in a website comment or open textbox, however, there is not delay when typing in the address bar or in a program. It is absolutely terrible on this site in the stock browser!!!
    FIX: None that I have found. I read somewhere if you turn off the vibrating keys while typing that it fixes it, however, I like that, especially on a screen keyboard. Also, why would it vary from websites to programs?

That is all I have for now, apart from the few odd annoyances like somewhat frequent force closes, lack of tablet modified apps, and the fact that I can’t add to my “wallpapers” folder. Other than that, I LOVE the OS. But that love can only do so much……

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    just some thoughts on this

1) for browser (i use dolphin) click on menu, User Agent then select the desired one

2) for music - have you tried doubletwist? it is an iTunes like app great for synching pc-tablet

3) for video - download mobo player and the moboplayer codec pack

Quote Originally Posted by Ohmbrewer View Post
    I’ve had the GT10.1 for a since it was released and although I really enough the Honeycomb 3.1 OS, I’m afraid that a number of problems/glitches/bugs are causing me to second guess my purchase. I’m going to give it another week (final return date) to see what Samsung or Google might do to address any of these known issues or until I find a work-around. (FYI, I don’t really like that there has to be work-arounds for brand new software….)

Issues/Fixes:
    1. Defaults to load mobile sites over desktops sites.
    -Would be nice if there was an easy toggle for this, but I have found a way to correct it.
    FIX: In the address bar, type: about:debug and press enter. Now open the browser's settings by tapping the icon in the very top-right corner of your screen (it looks like four horizontal lines) and selecting "Settings" from the drop-down menu that appears. On the left side of the screen, tap the section labeled "Debug." On the right side of the screen, tap the item labeled "UAString," then select "Desktop." Press the back button (in the very bottom-left corner of your screen) to exit the browser's settings. In the browser's address bar, type: about:debug once more; this will disable debugging mode and return the browser to its normal state.

2. Music/Video naming and organization
    -This is more of a nuisance problem than a software/hardware problem. Where I do like the fact that the GT10.1 is a stand-a-lone device (unlike apple which needs itunes for nearly everything), having some media organization software/apps would REALLY take things to the next level! My problem, when I copied my music and video over to the tab, it retained and displayed only the file names when organizing them. Like most, I have a collection of music I have assembled throughout the years and was able to modify artists and names though itunes. Now I have some music under the artists name and the rest lumped into an Unknown Artist category.
    FIX: So far, none. The only advice I was given was to rename all my song files a specific way that the tab would display correctly. I’m not doing that for over 1000 songs.

3. Loaded Videos won’t play
    -I would receive the error, “Sorry, Unable to play video file” when trying to play a MP4 or WMV file, some of which I allowed the tab to convert upon loaded (by accident). After a while, no video would play, even youtube.
    FIX: I just shut it down, and boot’her back up. That seems to have fixed things.
    -NOTE: I am still not able to stream video from Apple’s site, does anyone know for a fact if it is because Android software is not compatible with quicktime or MOV?

-Weird thing, I charged it all night, woke up in the morning and the power button did nothing. First thought, I didn’t have it plugged in all the way. I plugged it back in for 10, checked, nothing, still dead.
    FIX: If you hold both the power and the volume buttons down for a short while, it will boot up. Then, just power down and boot up as normal.

5. Type lag
    -There is quite a delay when typing in a website comment or open textbox, however, there is not delay when typing in the address bar or in a program. It is absolutely terrible on this site in the stock browser!!!
    FIX: None that I have found. I read somewhere if you turn off the vibrating keys while typing that it fixes it, however, I like that, especially on a screen keyboard. Also, why would it vary from websites to programs?

That is all I have for now, apart from the few odd annoyances like somewhat frequent force closes, lack of tablet modified apps, and the fact that I can’t add to my “wallpapers” folder. Other than that, I LOVE the OS. But that love can only do so much……

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I'm also using Dolphin HD and like it, especially on this site and sumsung forums. Still, the type lag is such a pain in the ass!!!!!!!
    I downloaded doubletwist and will let you know what I think.
    As for moboplayer, I've searched and searched but cannot find how to stream mov files or quicktime through it. Or even though a browser. A Dolphin or stock browser plugin would be nice! Still have no way of viewing apple video from the apple site.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    For forums I found out that tapatalk greatly reduces type lag. This is why I asked in a different thread if this forum is on tapatalk...apparently it's coming soon.

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    This site is driving me nuts with the lag and lack of being able to use it worth a hoot.
    Turning off animations in settings has cured the lag on everything but this and a couple of other websites. I've tried the stock browser, Dolphin HD,maxthon and none are any better for me on this site. I don't know if it's the sure, my 10.1 or a combination. every time I start typing the reply area turns blue. and a few seconds later an "auto save" icon shows up in the lower right corner of the reply box . I think if the auto save wasn't on it might be faster. I've got form full and all that stuff turned off on the Tab but something is still saving somewhere and I don't know how to turn it off
    Support Our Troops!!!

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Ohmbrewer View Post

5. Type lag

4. Why do you power down? I never turn my Tab off. I just place into airplane mode at night while charging.

5. I have found that typing lag is gone while using Opera mini, even though it's mostly designed for phones, it works pretty good for forums like this. If there is a mobile version to a website, it will display it however.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I downloaded mobo and still can run videos..help

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Thanks for the post Ohmbrewer. I'm hoping my Galaxy Tab will arrive today and I can start building a huge FAQ for Galaxy Tab owners.

Remove Ads

Ads