Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1

Password No Longer Accepted

Hello,

Today I powered on the GT, input my password at the white screen (and then the same password at my Widgetlocker screen) and used the GT as usual.

I set it aside and within a half hour powered it on. This time, unfortunately, I decided to look at the settings in the white screen login area (clicking on that gear icon). I looked at but didn't change any of the relatively few options there and hit the top right icon that allows us to select "Back." Once back to the white screen my password was no longer being accepted.

Now I've got 9 more attempts before all data will be erased.

Has anyone any ideas what has happened or what recourse I have available before it erases everything?

Thanks in advance.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    No idea at all, I'm sorry to say. Have you tried a reboot?

If your password fails, are you sure all the data will be erased? I would have thought that simply forgetting your device password would eventually prompt you to enter your Google account password to gain access to the device.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    After 5 failed attempts for logging into your tablet it will prompt you that it is locked out for 30 seconds or something, and there will be a Forgot Password option that will allow you to use a Google account (previously sync'd to your tablet of course) to unlock your tablet.
    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    After 5 failed attempts for logging into your tablet it will prompt you that it is locked out for 30 seconds or something, and there will be a Forgot Password option that will allow you to use a Google account (previously sync'd to your tablet of course) to unlock your tablet.
    Thanks for the replies!

Last night I attempted to enter my password around 10-15 times before I received the first warning message indicating I had 10 more attempts before all data would be erased.

I would be extremely happy if I received a Forgot Password option (though I'm a tad doubtful this will happen at this point), in any regard I have 4 more attempts now to find out. It should be noted that I haven't suddenly forgotten my password, I know it quite well and so it's especially disconcerting to have something like this happen. Somewhere in the Samsung code an error seems to have occurred and it's clearly not reading my input information correctly or some such similar thing.

This "white screen" password page is a Samsung-designed entry point, whether it's used only when a person uses Samsung's software to encrypt the data in their Galaxy Tab 10.1 or is used otherwise I can't tell since I've always used the encryption option.

I do remember seeing the "wait 30 seconds" message last night but have yet to receive a message allowing me to somehow unlock my tablet.

At this point I have little recourse but to enter my password 4 more times and see what happens. At best it starts accepting my password. At worst, and it's obviously not an option I'm looking forward to, it will erase all my data and I'll begin the effort of getting it back to where it was just 24 short hours ago.

Since these next few moments will either bring great joy or great pain, I will likely either reply in a fast fashion or perhaps wait a while to cool down from that equal and opposite reaction. Either way I will give an update in case it might help any others.

I'm not looking forward to these next few moments...

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1
    So, no Forgot Password page, no acceptance of my legitmate password, only erase data time.

Such a purdy image too, our Android mascot with a hole in his stomach with some buckyball-like image representing all my years worth of data and effort twirling around in front of his tummy, everything being erased.

Eventually after all data is erased you see an installing apps screen, base apps like Kindle.

Welcome screen.

Etc.
    Last edited by Beeblebrox; 12-14-2012 at 04:46 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Sorry, not sure what happened there.

Hopefully it does not happen again.
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    Sorry, not sure what happened there.

Hopefully it does not happen again.
    Thanks Frederuco I sure hope not either.

A couple things of note. Backup. Backup. Backup.

In particular backup your password managers, your to-do managers and of course most other data.

After my data was erased and I was getting everything back I found that when encrypting my GalTab I could no longer use a PIN to do so, which is what I was able to use previously. Someone at Samsung must have decided a PIN wasn't secure enough and changed it such that only a Password works now, perhaps this change occurred on the update to ICS.

Not sure how that change would have affected my entering a PIN on an encrypted device all this time and then the PIN suddenly stops working, so I doubt that's the reason my PIN stopped being recognized.

Likewise I doubt my clicking on the Settings gear icon at the white screen login and clicking on the top right (Back) button would suddenly disallow my PIN entry. Perhaps someone who is non-rooted here that had encrypted their GalTab prior to the ICS update would like to prove/disprove whether those steps cause a PIN password to suddenly stop working when all those variables are true for themselves also...

So in the end I believe the Android Mascot did it. Toiling in the background all this time it finally decided it would work no more and retired to Tahiti to sip on Sangria while watching the surf slowly lap at the shore. Smart droid.
    Frederuco likes this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Some good backup methods:
    MyBackupPro app from the play store.
    Run an ADB backup on your device.

Here are instructions for the ADB backup, you may need a different ADB driver for the Samsung tablets, but everything else is the same: [HOW TO] Perform a Full System Backup unrooted Android 4.0, 4.1 or 4.2 device
    Beeblebrox likes this.
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab S 10.5

Same happened on Galaxy S III

I have a Galaxy S 10 but never had this problem, but in my Galaxy S III, it just happened. Last week it didn't took my password to decrypt memory so I power it off and on again and it accepted the password again. I should've backed up then . On christmas day I turned it on to send christmas IMs to my friends and family but it didn't accept my password anymore, tried many times, and now it's only 6 more intents left to lose all my data . There is definitely something wrong with Encryption on Samsung devices, or may be there is a problem with Android encryption.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Quote Originally Posted by Feliponcho View Post
    I have a Galaxy S 10 but never had this problem, but in my Galaxy S III, it just happened. Last week it didn't took my password to decrypt memory so I power it off and on again and it accepted the password again. I should've backed up then . On christmas day I turned it on to send christmas IMs to my friends and family but it didn't accept my password anymore, tried many times, and now it's only 6 more intents left to lose all my data . There is definitely something wrong with Encryption on Samsung devices, or may be there is a problem with Android encryption.
    This also just happened to me. Encrypted Note 3 and powering off and on didn't work (I tried doing that twice). I was literally about to backup my device when I powered on my phone from charging and the encryption password stopped working. Of course this means my SD card and phone were both wiped. Thanks Samsung, you've lost a faithful customer.

Remove Ads

Ads