Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Excessive battery drain on GT-P7500 after ICS update

Hi folks,

A few weeks ago, I updated my GT-P7500 to ICS. Since that time, battery consumption on my tab has become a problem. This is most noticeable overnight when battery capacity falls by around 13%. This works out at about 1.4% per hour, which is five to ten times higher than it should be.

After a good deal of testing using BetterBatteryStats (BBS), I discovered that the kernel wake lock (KWL), l2_hsic was keeping my tab awake for 90% of the time overnight. This was with mobile data switched off. When I left mobile data on, l2_hsic was no longer a problem but other KWLs were now preventing my tab going into the deep sleep state.

There are lots of accounts on the internet of people having the same problem as me and this seems to occur only on Samsung devices - phones and tablets. Is anyone seeing this and, if so, do you have a solution to the problem?

JPC

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Welcome to the forum

The problem is not isolated to Samsung tablets. It has happened to other Android tablets after either an ICS upgrade or even a Jelly Bean upgrade. Try this, disable Wake Lock, install Auto Airplane Mode, (by DON), from the Store and see what or how much the batter use changes. Some people have found that a factory reset solved the problem but that's a last resort.

Some people have narrowed the problem down to previously installed apps that were not optimized for ICS and not updated for some time but the apps causing the problem are difficult to pin down.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Welcome #2

And give that you have performed an update that included a new OS - and a significant change at that - then I would also recommend a backup & then a full Factory Reset.

Often that cures this sort of gremlin.

Remove Ads

Ads