Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times

Use Kies For Video Conversion

Hi Folks,

While trying to get a video to run smoothly I stumbled on Kies' video conversion and I must say it has done a better job of matching video parameters to those which play smoothly on the Tab. I've tried Handbrake (free), 4Media Video Converter($), MediaCoderx64(free), Foxreal($) and while all save Handbrake are much faster and offer more options, Kies was able to produce the smoothest video.

Now Kies has some flaws aside from it's speed. It will convert a video and in some cases depending on input size, create a file larger than 4gig which will not copy onto your Tab. So when I want to resize a file I use either 4Video or MediaCoderx64 to create the smaller video and then give it to Kies to convert and transfer.

This is not needed for all movies but some just seem choppy and they get the Kies treatment.

YMMV
    Bill

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Hey Bill,

Looks like there is a lot of stumbling going on. I found a very fast freeware tool for converting problematic AVI videos to playable MP4 format. There is no video conversion, it retains all of the setting of the original. I've used it six times thus far and as long as the bit rate was 2.1 mb/s or less, it worked every time.

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    Fractal38,

Thanks. I'll add that to my tookit. I'm not talking about problematic avi files though, I'm talking about problematic files period. I've Ripped my DVD/BR to mkv (too big) and mp4 only to find that some don't run smoothly. Kies fixes that for the most part.

A real good example is the the thread started by cristoforo in the Help forum entitled "Poor Video Quality". Download his video clip and try to run it on your Tab. Then use whatever converter you want and try it. lastly, just let Kies do it. My experience was that without any adjustments, Kies did the best job. The file is only 148meg so the conversions wont take long.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hello Bill,
    I've tried Kies for video conversion as well - as a matter of fact, it was the only method by which I am able to get full-screen playback of all my previously ripped movies for my wife's iPad 1.

the only oddity I've encountered is that it puts the MP4 file into my Camera's DCIM folder on the device?? WTH? I can understand confusion over using the "movies" folder or the "Video" folder... but DCIM?? That makes no sense at all.

I've been over the Kies manual but there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the target directory on the device.

Was wondering if you had the same issue or knew of a way to change the settings?

Thanks!
    Brian

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

video encoding settings?

I've been having the same problem. For some reason, Kies places video files in Camera's DCIM folder. Unfortunately I am unable to get mp4 files to play with any consistency. Out of 10 files, maybe 1 or 2 have played flawlessly (used Mediafork to rip my own DVDs) while the others all either quit 2-3 minutes in or just begin to play garbled, with bright green squares. Files look corrupt.

Has anyone else figured out the secret recipe to encode mp4's the right away? I am beginning to worry that Samsung has pulled a Microsoft and shot themselves in the foot.

Quote Originally Posted by stl_stadtroller View Post
    Hello Bill,
    I've tried Kies for video conversion as well - as a matter of fact, it was the only method by which I am able to get full-screen playback of all my previously ripped movies for my wife's iPad 1.

the only oddity I've encountered is that it puts the MP4 file into my Camera's DCIM folder on the device?? WTH? I can understand confusion over using the "movies" folder or the "Video" folder... but DCIM?? That makes no sense at all.

I've been over the Kies manual but there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust the target directory on the device.

Was wondering if you had the same issue or knew of a way to change the settings?

Thanks!
    Brian

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Problem Solved! Figured out its KIES thats messing up the files (video and stills) I ended up using File Expert (its in android market) and Fetch on my MAC to transfer my videos and voila!

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Convert PDF to EPUB-Free Download PDF to EPUB Converter a very fast freeware for converting

Remove Ads

Ads