Thread: Finding photos transferred via flash drive

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Finding photos transferred via flash drive

I have successfully loaded a number of photos from iPhoto (Mac) to my new Tab. The USB adapter was recognized and all photos showed up on a screen where I checked all the boxes. They were then reported as "saved".

I don't know where they went since they're not in the Gallery which has all photos taken with the Tab's camera as well as many home videos shared from the Mac.

How can access those files (all JPGs) for editing and eventual mailing?

Thanks for any advice to this newbie.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Given the limited information you have posted, above, it is going to be a little difficult to give you a definitive answer, however, here are some general "pointers".

1. Use a File Manager app - I recommend ES File Manager, but you may prefer Astro or File Expert to name two others (all free on the Play Store)
    2. Browse the storage on your Tab - including the microSD card if you have one loaded & see if you can find where you copied the files (if, in fact you actually did)
    3. If you cannot find them, then start again using a File Manager app (see 1) - create a destination folder on your device to start. Give it a name & try to plan a suitable folder structure for you to sensibly use going forwards. Copy your photos into that folder / folder structure.
    4. Get the excellent app QuickPic (photo viewer/manager) from the Play Store - it is so superior to Gallery it should make Google blush.

Once you have the photos on your Tab in a known location, the rest of your requirements will be easy for you to fulfil.

All the best

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Janner, thank you from half a world away, in Oregon, USA.

I downloaded pictures from my Fuiji camera to iPhoto in the Mac and then transferred them to a flash drive.
    Google is already blushing after I got QuickPic, thanks to your suggestion .

Then I plugged that drive into the USB adapter connected to the Samsung jack. It was recognized and after I searched in vain for a command to save (as I would on the Mac or PC) I hit a plus sign on top and the progress bar showed how the 36 files were being saved. There was no window to select a destination and I searched for the photos by looking in Gallery, Camera and under DCMI. I did not have my microSD card installed (it's still in its package).

Had it been installed, would that have been the automatic destination so as to conserve memory capacity? Please give me the steps on how to use a File Manager (yet to be downloaded from the Store). One would assume that something, albeit basic, would be included by the Samsung savants.

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Allow me to try to answer in my friend Janner's absence.
    1st of all, your tablet does have a file manager though it's not necessarily the best file manager around by any stretch. If you look in the app drawer, which is behind the 6 little squares upper right corner of the screen, it's called file manager.

I don't think your photos would have been saved to the microSD card by default. But if you were to install ES File Explorer there is a function there called multi-select that would allow you to take all of the photos and tag them and move or copy them. They probably ended up in a folder called pictures on your internal storage. QuickPic should be able to tell you where it finds them.

Gallery just isn't very good. I don't use it for anything anymore because most of what's in there is really just shortcuts to the actual files, not the files themselves.

Hope I've helped.
    janner43 likes this.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Dear leeshor, you have both helped just by reading my query, will now install ES File Explorer as you have suggested and report back.

Taking photos with the onboard camera has not been a problem but I want to explore all features of the Tab - and there are so many .

Thank you!

Gunther

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Hi Gunther

It looks as if between us, Leeshor & I have managed to get you on your way, at least.

Post back if you'd like further assistance.

All the best

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Janner, I appreciate your sticking with me. After downloading the ES File Explorer File Manager and clicking on it, I get, among many others, a black DCMI screen. It shows 4 folders in a white field: Camera (empty), Camera 1 (contains all the photos taken with the Tab), Photo (empty), Video (empty).

No mention of any photos taken with the Fuji or Panasonic.

My next step will be inserting the micro SD (in its adapter) into the Fuji, taking some pictures and then putting the micro SD thingy into the slot on top of the Tab in hopes of getting SOMETHING transferred. Considering that it's almost 19:00 hrs in your neck of the woods and too late for a warning, will do this BEFORE you can tell me NOT to go that route...

The format of this "Quick Reply" form is pretty sophisticated in that it allows insertion of images but since I'm writing this on the Mac, the screen shot would reside on the Tab and I would have to use it to include it here. But if you want to let me have an illustration here, that would be great. A friend of mine in Arizona (that place with all the sun...) is watching my progress because he wants the tablet too.

Gunther

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Hi Gunther

It may well be that any camera you connect to your Tab will not allow you to directly copy photos from it - that is something you will need to find out via trial & error.

Taking photos directly onto a microSD card & then inserting that into your tablet should work easily, however. As should copying photos from your mac onto a microSD card (maybe inserted into a USB adaptor in your Mac).

Only one thing to check (because of the mac) & that is to ensure that your photos only have a jpg suffix (not a jpeg) one. A four letter filename suffix might well confuse things.

If the pictures that you previously tried to copy across are on your Tab, they will be displayed within QuickPic. If they are not shown in that app, I think it is safe to say they were not actually copied over.

All the best
    Last edited by janner43; 04-28-2013 at 03:26 AM.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Hi Janner,

Started off my Sunday by Skyping a friend in London - that still boggles my mind - and your message arrived.

Wanted to take a photo of her taking a photo of me (kid stuff...) and found that my Fuji refused to work. I had put the microSD with adapter into it to facilitate transferring photos and videos (the Fuji does both) to the Tab. That was what you were suggesting but it's not working. And yes, my photos are JPG, I never knew there was a difference with JPEGs. Another lesson learned after 25 years of taking photos internationally.

Am surprised at the quality of the on-board camera under different light conditions and the ease of viewing them on the Tab screen. Now if I could open the ones I transferred to the Tab via flash drive, I would have it made.

Am thinking about getting "Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 for Dummies" but am not sure if it would answer all my questions. So far it's the only book on the market.

Regards,

Gunther
    Last edited by janner43; 04-29-2013 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Forum guidelines

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Hi Gunther,

I am not sure why this is proving so difficult to achieve as it is usually quite a straightforward process. in any case, ignoring all that has gone before, here are my suggestions for getting your photos onto your Tab.

1. Use Dropbox on your Mac - copy the photos from your camera/s onto your Mac. Upload them to Dropbox (maybe use the Dropbox photo upload solution to sync them to Dropbox.)
    2. Put the Dropbox app on your Tab - sync/download the photos to your Tab.

OR

1. Copy your photos onto your Mac from your camera/s
    2. Copy the photos from your Mac onto a microSD card in any folder structure you consider helpful (via an adapter if necessary, they are inexpensive)
    3. Insert the microSD card into your Tab. Power it on & QuickPic will then display the images for you.

If you then want to copy the photos from the microSD card onto your Tab internal memory, you can simply use whatever File Manager app you find most user friendly.

My apologies, but I do not believe I can explain myself with any greater clarity than that.

All the best
    Last edited by janner43; 04-29-2013 at 08:58 AM.
    birdy176 likes this.

Remove Ads

Ads