Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Problems with video playback

Here's the background: Galaxy 10.1 + Snow Leopard OS Mac + Samsung Kies + Handbrake

I have ripped some copies of my DVD collection so that I could play them on my Droid. They were saved .m4v (to also be compatible with my iPod)but I changed the file extension to .mp4 because the Tab 10.1 won't play .m4v. I used Kies to transfer the movies to the tab and they are showing up on the tab but I'm having issues with the play back. it will play choppily about 4 seconds then freeze. When I close the video player I still hear audio playing but no video. It's very strange.

Is it because I changed the file extension? Has anyone else been having problems like this? When I play the movies on my phone or iPod or
    computer, everything is fine, it's just with the Tab.

TIA

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    30 times
    Quote Originally Posted by ocholoco View Post
    Here's the background: Galaxy 10.1 + Snow Leopard OS Mac + Samsung Kies + Handbrake

I have ripped some copies of my DVD collection so that I could play them on my Droid. They were saved .m4v (to also be compatible with my iPod)but I changed the file extension to .mp4 because the Tab 10.1 won't play .m4v. I used Kies to transfer the movies to the tab and they are showing up on the tab but I'm having issues with the play back. it will play choppily about 4 seconds then freeze. When I close the video player I still hear audio playing but no video. It's very strange.

Is it because I changed the file extension? Has anyone else been having problems like this? When I play the movies on my phone or iPod or
    computer, everything is fine, it's just with the Tab.

TIA
    M4v is a container file - just like avi or mov - the player expects to a certain format when it tries to open it and if it doesn't it causes problems. Try renaming the files back to m4v and get a player that reads m4v - try mx video player or mobo player. Note just like in PCs different formats need different players (I.e. quicktime for mov files, windows media player for wmv files)

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    thanks for the tip, I tried this but it's still the same issue of choppy playback then video freezes but audio keeps playing even after I closed moby player.

Frustrating. Is there perhaps a way i can get movies onto my GT without using Kies?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Suspect this is somehow a big flaw.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I did find a workaround to get my videos onto my GT involving FTP, but it's kind of annoying. But they do play correctly. Arg Samsung, fix this Kies thing because it's lame!!

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Isn't anyone moderating this forum?

Isn't anyone moderating this forum? ...

It's getting pretty boring reading responses from people like anniemayday who are just on here to try to sell their own products.

People are posting legitimate issues on this forum and it's a shame that a lot of answers are totally unhelpful sales pitches.

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Try using the Report feature next time

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone
    Support Our Troops!!!

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'm having the exact same problem. if i import movies with kies they play choppy and eventually freeze. If i transfer it over FTP they play just fine. so its definitely a problem with kies

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    What was the FTP workaround you used? I also have a mac, and am experiencing the exact same issue....

Thanks!

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I just downloaded Wireless Transfer Pro and just transferred a movie I ripped from DVD using handbrake and it seems to be working well. I used handbrake to rip it awhile back for my Galaxy Tab 7", and it saved off as .m4v. I changed the file extension (mp4 and m4v are both mpeg4, so the headers should be pretty much the same, so it shouldn't matter). I used h.264 codec as well. I am going to try ripping another movie tomorrow and transferring it, and if it works I will post up the full set of settings for it to be optimized for the 10.1.

Wireless Transfer Pro is free in the market, and was super easy; I just installed it, started it, and it prompted me to go to a web page hosted on the 'Tab. The one thing to note is under that address there is a button that says "stop". Hit it, and it will show active, and it starts the web server. A little counterintuitive, but whatever, it works great. Transferred almost a gig in about 10 mins, so not great, but not too shabby either.

I hope this helps you out!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads