Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Unresponsive Touch Screen

Have a galaxy tab 2 10.1 recently the touch screen will stop responding. It was working fine, first time it happened I had charged it overnight, and started using it while it was plugged in. Worked as normal, then unplugged it and the touch screen went dead. The on/off and volume buttons worked, but screen was 100% unresponsive. Did a soft reset and that didn't help either. I got busy and left it for a couple days. Came back and it worked for a couple minutes, then stopped again. It continues to do this. Seems to work more often if it is plugged in.

Only other notable things are that this isn't the original screen. Replaced it about 9 months ago when the original one was shattered. This is a samsung replacement tho (has samsung logo anyway). Also the only other thing that has happened to it lately, was that the battery was ran completely dead. We had lost the original charger (wall plug part) so I ordered a new one. It sat for about 10 days with no charge before the Samsung charger got here. After that, it charged up and worked fine for a couple weeks until these issues started popping up.

Is there some connection to a complete battery discharge and the touch screen function going to hell? Seems I've read a couple other posts with similar issues. No resolution though.

I'm reasonably tech savy, so if there's something I can do to possibly fix this, I'd like to try it.

Thanks!

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    If you replaced the screen my guess is that there is a problem with the quite fragile pins on the connector. Not certain what to suggest.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    It worked fine for several months with the replacement screen though. First time it acted up was after sitting and charging. it wasn't dropped or jolted or anything, which is why it's so confusing.

Any other ideas?

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    If you have taken it apart once, you may want to do it again and check the connectors.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    So after tossing this thing in the closet for a while, I plugged it in and charged it up yesterday. The screen worked fine for about 2 minutes, then out of nowhere, with no warning it stopped working again. I just had it sitting on my lap while I played a game, not shaking it or dropping it or anything. I used the power and volume buttons to do the soft reset/reboot on it, and it didn't make a difference. Still at a loss. If I can get the touch screen to work again for long enough, I'm going to try and do a factory reset and see if that helps. Seems pretty inexplicable at this point however.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    So since I wasn't able to get any help here, I wanted to report back at least so that hopefully if someone searches they'll find this post and find a solution. I was able to fix my tablet!

I got on xda developers and got some help there. I was told to flash in the factory firmware again and that doing so could possibly fix it. So I did that. I had to find a version of the firmware on the net, and download it (it's over 1gb in size so takes a while), then download a program called Odin that is used to flash stuff onto samsung devices. Then using Odin, I flashed the firmware onto the tablet and then did a factory reset, and cleared the cache. After doing that yesterday morning, I used the tablet most of the day and didn't have any issues. Before this, I was lucky if the touch screen would work for over a minute before it'd stop responding. There are some specific things you have to do to flash in the firmware, but there's a video in the link below that I used and was able to figure it out without breaking anything.

Here's my thread on XDA developers page: [Q] Tab 2 10.1 touch screen stops after a co… - Pg. 2 | Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 | XDA Forums

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Had you ever been able to try the factory reset? In theory what you ended up doing shouldn't have been necessary. You could have done a factory reset using hardware buttons, but glad it seems to be working.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 3 7.0
    Quote Originally Posted by gr8shot View Post
    So since I wasn't able to get any help here, I wanted to report back at least so that hopefully if someone searches they'll find this post and find a solution. I was able to fix my tablet!

I got on xda developers and got some help there. I was told to flash in the factory firmware again and that doing so could possibly fix it. So I did that. I had to find a version of the firmware on the net, and download it (it's over 1gb in size so takes a while), then download a program called Odin that is used to flash stuff onto samsung devices. Then using Odin, I flashed the firmware onto the tablet and then did a factory reset, and cleared the cache. After doing that yesterday morning, I used the tablet most of the day and didn't have any issues. Before this, I was lucky if the touch screen would work for over a minute before it'd stop responding. There are some specific things you have to do to flash in the firmware, but there's a video in the link below that I used and was able to figure it out without breaking anything.

Here's my thread on XDA developers page: [Q] Tab 2 10.1 touch screen stops after a co… - Pg. 2 | Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 | XDA Forums
    I'm having a somewhat similar issue with my Galaxy 3 tablet. It worked great one minute, then no touch screen at all after switching the charger that was being used. I've done a factory reset and still no luck. That led me to believe it wasn't a software issue. I've already opened it up and replaced the screen digitizer so pretty sure any warranty is out the window. Taking it to the Sprint store I got it from tonight, but wondering if doing this odin thing might help.

Remove Ads

Ads