Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

WiFi connects but doesn't work

My son has a Tab 2 7" and has used it for a long time but hasn't used it in many months. He got it out today and it cannot connect to our network. Well, technically it does connect to our network but .. I can get wifi to connect and it obtains an ip and says connected. The device shows in my router list as a connected device. I can successfully ping it from my pc. But any app requiring internet access (youtube, play store, etc.) say No Connection. I've made sure the router isn't filtering on mac addresses or anything like that. All signs point to successfully connected but it's as if there is a firewall or some equivalent blocking all communication. But then I wouldn't expect pings to work either in that case.

I have read as many suggestions as I can find. I have tried almost all.
    I have 'forgotten' the wifi network and then rebooted, reselected the network, and reentered the password.
    I have done the wipe of the system cache.
    I have temporarily removed security, opening our wifi network.
    I have not done a factory reset. I would like to make sure I've exhausted all possibilities first because I'm afraid if the wifi remains inoperable after that he will be in a worse situation than he is now (He can at least still use any apps he's already installed that don't require wifi. He wouldn't be able to get those back though without wifi)

Thanks

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Welcome to the forum

I have even more suggestions in a link you'll find in my signature but I suggest you try a different location, a friend's house or public WiFi to rule out some issue with the WiFi or the system. If it says connected but won't do anything the solution is probably going to be some change in a configuration somewhere.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks I will look at them. Yea there may be some configuration issue with the tab, although I can't imagine what. I'm thinking not so much a configuration problem with the network as there are three smart phones, a laptop and two game consoles that are working. Not ruling anything out at this point of course. Thanks again for the reply.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I'd already looked through that section and tried everything relevant. But.. it IS working again. I caved and did the factory reset. So something must have gotten wacked in the system. Thanks for your time.

Remove Ads

Ads