Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

Tab 2: Lost App Data From SD Card

Hi all, I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere but we're a bit panic stricken and grateful for any help. We have two Samsung Tab 2 7.0, not rooted, android 4.2.2. that we've had since the pre-order days. We've had no issue but yesterday our child said that one tablet prompted him to "do an update or lose everything" (I have no other info than this as he didn't show me). He clicked yes and now the majority of his game progress is gone. I noticed the SD available storage is 26.52 when I'd expect it to be full, as he has a lot of games stored there.

All apps are still installed but they defaulted to the beginning in that he's lost the progress and in-app purchases. This applies to candy crush, subway surf, my horse, wonder zoo and several others where he's made a lot of progress and used google play gift cards for coins, etc. Some apps work fine--Minecraft, thankfully, seems to be okay and his music purchases remain. We can go into the Google account and see his balance and the purchase history.

The second tablet is fine-no changes.

I've no idea what the update or error was that he saw and allowed but is there any way to retrieve the lost progress and gift card spend? I thought that we had the back-up / restore / etc enabled (we have those "ticked") but apps don't seem obvious to restore or more likely I'm not going about it correctly.

I haven't tried a full reset etc as I am nervous to do anything that will wipe out Minecraft. I had an Android help tip to unmount the SD card and insert it into the PC for a corrupt check, which I'll try.

Many thanks for any assistance / direction. Sorry for the long-winded message--devastated children all around at the moment!

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Welcome to the forum

That's very strange and this statement do an update or lose everything doesn't sound right at all. My guess is that the stuff you're missing was on the micoSD card and feel it has a problem, but I could be wrong. Try sticking that card in a card reader on your PC and see if you can see anything. It sounds like that card may have been formatted. That would have generated something similar to that statement.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Welcome to the forum

That's very strange and this statement do an update or lose everything doesn't sound right at all. My guess is that the stuff you're missing was on the micoSD card and feel it has a problem, but I could be wrong. Try sticking that card in a card reader on your PC and see if you can see anything. It sounds like that card may have been formatted. That would have generated something similar to that statement.
    Thanks, I'll try that. You are correct in that the missing stuff was housed on the SD card--what I can't figure out is why it saved the apps and just deleted the progress. No apps are missing--just progress of some of them (not all). Clearly something happened to the card as there is more space available than should be but of course getting a child to recall exactly what happened isn't easy (with the tears and all).

I'll try to card reader and see if I can learn anything. Thanks again for the help and welcome!

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    A bit of an update here, and I apologize that this differs to what I wrote yesterday:

The children and I went over all of the apps today and noticed that when an app has coins/gems etc that are either earned or were bought that is all now missing and the app/game reset to start. This is for apps on both the sd card and on the hard drive, which I hadn't noticed originally as I checked only they're favourite games.

Games that have levels or created material are fine--such as Minecraft levels, fashion/designer outfit apps. No issues here. Music is fine, too.

Any ideas behind this? I tried the "restore in app purchases" in Subway Surf and no luck. Re-linking to my facebook brought back the high score but of course no purchases or coins. At this point it's Subway Surf, Candy Crush, My Horse, Wonder Zoo, Nemo, and a few others that all have lost progress.

Again-thanks for any input.

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    I still feel it was the SD card but you didn't mention what you found if anything.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Hi there, I'm sorry for the delay in getting back to this. I wasn't sure how to check the SD card but I found my way and have done so. There were no errors found "Window scanner the file and found no problems" followed by the list of total disc space, 1 hidden file, available space, etc. No error messages or problems that we could see (in following the instructions we used). Any other ideas or things to check? Thanks again.

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Wish I could suggest something else. What size and brand is the card?

Remove Ads

Ads