Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Question Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 Upgrade from Android Ice Cream to Jelly Bean (4.1)

The new Jelly Bean 4.1 Android operating system seems much better than my Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 in a lot of ways (smoother "butter" interface, audio response a' la SIRI, etc.).

Does anyone know if/when the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 will be upgraded from its Ice Cream O/S to the Jelly Bean O/S?

ps. Don't you just love those O/S names?!

Thanks,

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I contacted online support via chat last night and was told to check the Samsung website for details regarding any updates. The support person asked for the model number of my galaxy tab, which should be irrelevant on this topic. Samsung should know about future plans / updates and direction of a recently released product. This should be something addressed ASAP following Googles IO keynotes.

I live in Austin (silicon hills), and I've lived in Gangnam, Seoul, Korea where most Korean Tech companies thrive, including Samsung. My bet: the galaxy tab 2 7.0 is left for dry. All the software that's Samsung's on the galaxy tabs scream typical Korean one time "produce and abandon". Updates are not a big part of the Korean culture. I used to browse the Korean electronic markets from head to toe from Vacuumes, to Hi-Fi equipment, Laptops, netbooks, PCs, the fake Apple stores, hard drives, keyboards, phones, the Video game piracy and anything that plugged into an outlet. There are tons of empty holes in the Samsung app store, and typical botched english in most of the descriptions. This device will go un updated.

As well, Samsung is getting dumped on by Apple (rightfully so), and won't really care about this particular model and it's continued support. They are more worried about the Nexus one situation.

I own two iPads, including the new one, and also the galaxy tab 2 7.0. I envisioned that buying the galaxy tab would be the best way to expose myself to googles ecosystem. After heavy use for one week, I found myself NEVER using the galaxy tab as its just so unresponsive that every task feels slow, even when it was new with all apps closed, and lots of free memory. This isn't a Samsung problem, but a combination of the android OS and Samsung's poor touch interface. Googles Android 4.1 (jelly bean) looks to fix this with "Butter" which is being launched to work on the nexus 7, a tablet with a 12 core graphics processor. As for google, I am thoroughly impressed with Chrome on the iPad, it's Super responsive. Way to go Google. I expect the Nexus 7 to be super responsive and the ultimate Android solution.

Conclusions
    Don't buy a galaxy tab, buy a nexus 7.

Samsung will continue to release devices with no intention to provide the user with an experience that's top quality or supported for longer than a week.

I'd strongly suggest selling the tab on Craigslist and buying a nexus 7. That's what I plan on doing.
    Last edited by chuckading; 06-30-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckading View Post
    I contacted online support via chat last night and was told to check the Samsung website for details regarding any updates. The support person asked for the model number of my galaxy tab, which should be irrelevant on this topic. Samsung should know about future plans / updates and direction of a recently released product. This should be something addressed ASAP following Googles IO keynotes.

I live in Austin (silicon hills), and I've lived in Gangnam, Seoul, Korea where most Korean Tech companies thrive, including Samsung. My bet: the galaxy tab 2 7.0 is left for dry. All the software that's Samsung's on the galaxy tabs scream typical Korean one time "produce and abandon". Updates are not a big part of the Korean culture. I used to browse the Korean electronic markets from head to toe from Vacuumes, to Hi-Fi equipment, Laptops, netbooks, PCs, the fake Apple stores, hard drives, keyboards, phones, the Video game piracy and anything that plugged into an outlet. There are tons of empty holes in the Samsung app store, and typical botched english in most of the descriptions. This device will go un updated.

As well, Samsung is getting dumped on by Apple (rightfully so), and won't really care about this particular model and it's continued support. They are more worried about the Nexus one situation.

I own two iPads, including the new one, and also the galaxy tab 2 7.0. I envisioned that buying the galaxy tab would be the best way to expose myself to googles ecosystem. After heavy use for one week, I found myself NEVER using the galaxy tab as its just so unresponsive that every task feels slow, even when it was new with all apps closed, and lots of free memory. This isn't a Samsung problem, but a combination of the android OS and Samsung's poor touch interface. Googles Android 4.1 (jelly bean) looks to fix this with "Butter" which is being launched to work on the nexus 7, a tablet with a 12 core graphics processor. As for google, I am thoroughly impressed with Chrome on the iPad, it's Super responsive. Way to go Google. I expect the Nexus 7 to be super responsive and the ultimate Android solution.

Conclusions
    Don't buy a galaxy tab, buy a nexus 7.

Samsung will continue to release devices with no intention to provide the user with an experience that's top quality or supported for longer than a week.

I'd strongly suggest selling the tab on Craigslist and buying a nexus 7. That's what I plan on doing.
    Wow, you've actually summed up my thoughts almost word for word, down to the devices. I honestly do like the 7" format for a slightly more portable tablet than my iPad, but you're right, the smoothness is not there. I'm thinking very seriously of selling the Tab 2 and ordering the Nexus 7 when it comes out. The fact that it is 1) a Nexus device and 2), Asus, makes me feel better about updates. I'm watching closely, but that being said, I might be selling in the near future and just take the hit.

Remove Ads

Ads