Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 Unable to Connect to Home WiFi

Hi all

My first post and unfortunately its a problem that brought me here. I have just bought the Samsung Tab 2 today and have problems connecting to my home WIFI. I can see another thread reporting a similar problem so hopefully it's ok to start a new one rather than hijacking that one.

My router is a Belkin N1 and I have broadband through Virgin Media. When I attempt to connect I receive 'obtaining IP address'. My signal is excellent however after a period of time I receive 'network disabled. Poor Connection' message.

I have unplugged my router from the wall for 10 minutes and tried again but still have the same problem!

I know there is nothing wrong with my router as my Galaxy S2 is connected, my wifes Galaxy Plus, a Blackberry and 2x PS3 can connect no problem.

I personally believe Ice Cream Sandwich maybe causing the problem and I will advise why. When I updated my S2 to ICS a few months ago via KIES I was unable to connect to my WIFI and had to return my phone to Samsung to backdate the filmware. I don't know why but it's the exact same and basically like déjà vu.

Problem is, how do I solve it this time? The other thread doesn't seem to have a fix so hopefully someone can help me this. I am slowly losing it trying to solve it.

I forgot to mention. I set-up a WIFI hotspot with my S2 and connected to this and tried checked for a software update but there wasn't any available.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Just an update to advise that I have been able to connect by assigning a static IP. Obviously this is another method available but for total knobs like me these thing take hours to figure out, I still think it is ICS as everything else connects with no problems at all.

Just glad I am fixed.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Hi, I've just bought a Tab2 & encounter the same problem as yours earlier. How can I apply a static IP address ?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Quote Originally Posted by Tellmehowplease View Post
    Hi, I've just bought a Tab2 & encounter the same problem as yours earlier. How can I apply a static IP address ?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    In your Settings - WiFi section, long press on your WiFi network name. Choose Modify when it pops up. Then tick on the Advanced Options box, then change from DHCP to Static IP.

Set your numbers such that they are compatible with your network. Be sure to fill out all boxes, one of them has a greyed out 24 in it, just be sure to enter a number there (I used 24 and it worked fine). For my DNS servers, I used Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).
    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Frederuco View Post
    In your Settings - WiFi section, long press on your WiFi network name. Choose Modify when it pops up. Then tick on the Advanced Options box, then change from DHCP to Static IP.

Set your numbers such that they are compatible with your network. Be sure to fill out all boxes, one of them has a greyed out 24 in it, just be sure to enter a number there (I used 24 and it worked fine). For my DNS servers, I used Google's (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).
    If this method is a bit daunting then the other resolution is to switch all other wifi devices off and connect your tab to the ip address its wanting once connected download wifi static from play store and set this up to automate your connections from static to DCHP

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    As a general comment to others finding this thread, when updating a device with a change of operating system - in this case to ICS, but it equally applies when upgrading to Jelly Bean, it is very good advice to back up your data - photos, documents etc & then do a full Factory Reset from settings. 99% of all glitches can be resolved in this way.

On another note - try to get away from using KIES - it often causes nothing but problems.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    I had the same problem and also tried switching to static IP. It says I'm connected to the network, but I'm not connected to the internet. Every other wireless device is working without problems.

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Quote Originally Posted by Touquie View Post
    I had the same problem and also tried switching to static IP. It says I'm connected to the network, but I'm not connected to the internet. Every other wireless device is working without problems.
    Make certain you add a static DNS as well or the Internet won't work. You can try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. That's a Google DNS set.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Quote Originally Posted by leeshor View Post
    Make certain you add a static DNS as well or the Internet won't work. You can try 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. That's a Google DNS set.
    I have the same problem but I tried what you said and it still doesn't work

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Quote Originally Posted by gunners99999 View Post
    I have the same problem but I tried what you said and it still doesn't work
    Welcome to the forum
    There is a link in my signature that will take you to a page with some tips on WiFi problems. Taking your tab to a public hotspot will confirm if the problem is your tab or your router.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads