• 1 Post By leeshor
  • 1 Post By janner43

Thread: WiFi Issue, Public Areas

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

WiFi Issue, Public Areas

I've had my tab2 7 for a couple of months now and I love it. It connects to my BT infinity WiFi in the house just fine. However I've just been to Liverpool and took it with me, to practise connecting to public free WiFi. I've only used it at home to date due to my routine. While away I didn't ave much success. On the arriva bus with WiFi, my hotel with WiFi, Starbucks, pubs etc, all with free WiFi, the tab was detecting and connecting to them, but all webpages, news sites, said, unable to display content, no connection or try later. I m not sure why they didn't work when I was connected? Can anyone advise why? Now on the arriva bus back to the airport I tried again but this time had a screen to accept terms and conditions, once accepted I was able to browse normally and also play Netflix. Of course once back home, my house WiFi worked fine, why not the public WiFi. Obviously from other forum suggestions, I can't reset public WiFi. I did try restarting my tab etc, but to no avail.

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    I have 2 suggestions. You didn't say what browser you were using but in many cases you do need to accept terms. Try Dolphin Browser. In the settings tell it to use desktop mode and also allow pop-ups. (that may have been 3)
    Juicer likes this.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the response. I was just tapping the apps icon. For e.g. got on the bus, in the hotel, scanned for WiFi, connected, saw it said connected and then tapped the icons for BBC News, sky news, Netflix. That didn't work. Now u mention it, on the bus home, this time I used the Google search function on the screen, searched for BBC news, and that's when I saw the screen to accept terms and connections, and then it worked. But surely I should use my apps by the icons?

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Quote Originally Posted by Juicer View Post
    Thanks for the response. I was just tapping the apps icon. For e.g. got on the bus, in the hotel, scanned for WiFi, connected, saw it said connected and then tapped the icons for BBC News, sky news, Netflix. That didn't work. Now u mention it, on the bus home, this time I used the Google search function on the screen, searched for BBC news, and that's when I saw the screen to accept terms and connections, and then it worked. But surely I should use my apps by the icons?
    You should be able to use at least most of them. Some sites may be blocked in order to conserve the public hotspot's bandwidth. You should begin by seeing if a browser works. In desktop mode.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

ta

Thanks, I will try that . Tho most of the one's I tried were just news sites as opposed to major downloads, ie Netflix

Vega
    Member #
    Liked
    104 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Thanks, I will try that . Tho most of the one's I tried were just news sites as opposed to major downloads, ie Netflix
    Let us know how you do....

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Leeshor hit the nail on the head. All public wifi of the types you describe, in my experience ask you to accept terms & conditions as a minimum condition to use their service. Some will even ask you to register an email address as well.

Always connect to the public wifi & then use the browser to try to visit a site - eg Google - before you try any other app - this will inevitably bring up a T&C page which will then open the connection to the Internet for you. Thereafter you just use whatever app you like in the normal way.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    thanks leeshor and janner, that worked. i have bt inifinity at home so logged into their wifi hotspot in a town center and then got the t+c's to accept, then got into a few sites via the browser, then tried the apps, it worked then. as a novice i had expected apps to work from just tapping the icon
    Last edited by Juicer; 12-26-2012 at 03:55 AM.

Remove Ads

Ads