Thread: Whats the point of Widgets?

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1

Whats the point of Widgets?

I have used a PC for over 35 years, and new to Android, I fail to get the idea behind Widgets, or what they are useful for?

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    My thoughts on what widgets are useful for: To see status of things quickly without opening the apps.

You can have a weather app, email count and a calendar widget on your home screen. At a quick glance you can see how many unread emails you have, what the weather is outside and when your next appointment is.
    Astrix likes this.
    Asus Transformer 16 GB & Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
    - Homer Jay Simpson

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    Quote Originally Posted by yak View Post
    I have used a PC for over 35 years, and new to Android, I fail to get the idea behind Widgets, or what they are useful for?
    Sorry but i still don't get it? When I click on Wigets my Weather app tells me the weather in New York, which I have not even added to my Weather profile.
    If I want to change apps that are already open, I use the Task Manager. My opinion is still that Widgets just using unnecessary ram and video display.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab

Whats the point of Widgets?

Quote Originally Posted by yak View Post
    Sorry but i still don't get it? When I click on Wigets my Weather app tells me the weather in New York, which I have not even added to my Weather profile.
    If I want to change apps that are already open, I use the Task Manager. My opinion is still that Widgets just using unnecessary ram and video display.
    We each have our own opinion on what is useful, and what is not.

If you don't want to use them, that is fine. Many users have noticed the tabs can get sluggish with lots of widgets.
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Re: Whats the point of Widgets?

Widgets continually "update". I use a weather widget, which updates itself as screen is turned on. A clock widget constantly updates the time. Certain widgets I find useless. Music? Only need it when we want it...Same for news. Scrolling tweets? Status updates from Facebook? Kill me now....

I tap app when needed. Just my opinion.

Sent from my XT912 using Tapatalk 2

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    I get Yak's point - I have never understood the value of widgets myself, either, but "each to their own".

Some folks like to widget - some like to app-switch - the only thing I find pretty pointless are some of the "features" that seem really, really big deals to Google when they announce them, like Google Now for example. But then again, perhaps if I was an uber busy person working in a huge metropolis, then maybe that would be of interest. Nowadays, nothing could be further from the truth.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 10.1
    forgive me, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm simply trying to ascertain the usefulness of Widgets.

I use a PC & Win7 for all my serious work, from which I wont be changing anytime soon. I don't need Facebook or Twitter to have others observe my progress through life on the internet. I have 1 Toy, called a Samsung Galaxy Tab2. Perhaps their in lies ....why I don't get widgets?

So does anyone here know enough about Linux, to run a script that will turn that darn feature off?

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Most of the widgets can be removed, but not all, but some can be individually disabled.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    33 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Just long press the widgets on your homescreens, drag them to the trashcan/remove icon at the top of the screen.

I would not bother trying to disable or uninstalling them, just get them out of sight.
    crApple iP*one 5 - Stock

- Homer Jay Simpson

Remove Ads

Ads