Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    I Don't Have a Tablet

Unhappy Video Playback and App Download

Hello, I am very new to this and I don't actually own the problematic galaxy tab 2 7.0. I bought it for my brother for Christmas and on Boxing day he went travelling. Unfortunately he has not been able to access any of the video's posted on FB only a couple of youtube videos and none sent by email. I downloaded a film from the play store and only part of that will play. He cannot download any new apps and therefore can not try downloading an alternative player. He is currently in New Zeland and moves to Australia soon does anyone have any advice? I have spent the whole of January scouring the web and various forums looking for the answer - any answer - but I am just becoming more and more disillusioned with the situation. I desperately want to get it sorted so I can send a video of his nephews first steps thank you in advance

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Welcome to the forum

I am not sure what advice to offer, to be honest. I can't quite understand how he can access YouTube which requires an Internet connection, but cannot download any new apps?

Essentially, if he has (or creates) a Google Account on his tab & is connected to the Internet, he will be able to download new apps & use the You Tube app on his Tab to see any & all YouTube videos.

If you email him a home video, say a couple of minutes long, then as long as it is in a useable format, he will be able to view it. MX Player is an excellent free app that covers the vast majority of video formats.

If you downloaded a video rental from the Play Store, then you only have 48 hours to watch it in so if you start it but then don't finish it within the window, you will have to rent it again.

Facebook uses Flash - he may need to obtain the Flash Player and manually install it, instructions for that are linked in my signature, below. There is also a Facebook app - BUT Facebook on Android isn't the same as it is on a PC and there are many issues that folks report.

If you are trying to share trip photos/videos and home photos/videos, then let me make a suggestion. If you use Dropbox, you can both upload to that and then download quite easily as there is a great DropBox app for Android.

Hope that helps somewhat, but I don't think there is a problem with the Tab - just the sort of "learning curve" issues that we all have when we first get a new device & are learning a new OS.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    I Don't Have a Tablet
    Hi there thank for your welcome, for reading and taking the time to reply! I guess I should have included a few more details, he does have a google account and he can access the Internet the tab is wifi only, however when trying to download apps from play or Samsung he is told he can't download as he is not in his 'home country'.
    The film I downloaded prior to him leaving the UK was purchased (not rented). I also downloaded Dropbox prior to him leaving and I am now waiting for him to get back to me regarding its accessibility on his tab (as I set it up I know the username and password and can therefore edit from my pc). I guess my main question is should he be able to use the tab effectively (as he could in the UK) in a foreign country, namely New Zealand, Australia and SE Asia? do you think there should be no problem using it abroad?
    Thanks for the 'learning curve' mention it is probably even bigger when the 'learners' are on 2 different continents! I shall persevere!

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Hi again,

I'm glad to help

I am not aware of any issues with regards to accessing the Play Store overseas, especially with regards to free apps, but there might be an issue with regards to any credit card on the Play Store account and purchasing apps, movies etc.

I suggest the following as possible steps forward...
    1. Get your brother to create an additional Google account from within Australia or New Zealand & then see if using that account he can access the Play Store. He can add & switch accounts in settings, accounts & sync.

2. Get any apps he needs from the Australian or New Zealand Amazon AppStore - if he Googles "Amazon AppStore Australia" or "New Zealand" from his browser, he will get instructions as to how to get access to the Amazon service (download the AppStore apk file & install it) & that may well suffice in the medium term. If he cannot get it for some reason, you could try getting the apk from amazon UK and then popping it into your shared DropBox - you might need to rename it from "appstorename.apk" to "appstorename.jpg", to get it into DropBox or to enable him to download it, but then when he downloads "appstorename.jpg" to his Tab, he could just rename it back to "appstorename.apk" again & follow the installation instructions I have appended below.

3. Contact Google support with the "not in home country" issue & ask their advice.

As far as the film not being able to be viewed all the way through, I can only think that the download got corrupted in some way. He should be able to download it again when he is able to fully access the Play Store.

PS
    If he is not sure how to install a manually downloaded apk file (.apk on Android corresponds to .exe in Windows), here are the steps...

1. In settings, security, allow the installation of apps from unknown sources.
    2. Download or Copy the appname.apk file to your Tab.
    3. Open a File Manager app on your Tab & tap the appname.apk file you just downloaded to install it.
    4. Go back to settings, security, & untick (disallow) the installation of apps from unknown sources.
    Last edited by janner43; 02-08-2013 at 08:12 AM.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    I Don't Have a Tablet
    Thank you so much I will post again with the result!

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Quote Originally Posted by Kategcherrett View Post
    Thank you so much I will post again with the result!
    OK - let's hope the two of you are able to get things working happily for you both.

Remove Ads

Ads