Thread: [SOLVED] Cannot open to wi-fi

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Note 10.1

[SOLVED] Cannot open to wi-fi

Have recently bought a wi-fi router and set it up to work with computer and tablet.
    It recognises the connection and it connects but the tablet keeps asking me for a password so i can access the internet.
    I have tried all the passwords in which i think it is with no avail. Is there somewhere on the tablet that requires me to make a new password so i can access stuff or is it simpler than that please.
    Thank you.
    Ray.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    From your earlier thread I am going to assume little knowledge on your part - please forgive that assumption if it is incorrect. Before you do anything else, "forget" the connection to your wifi on your Note (in the advanced section of wifi in tablet settings). Then power off your Note & follow the guide below...

In general terms, this is what you do...

1) Connect your router to your modem via cable. If it is a combined router modem, plug it into your phone line & go through the setup as advised by the handbook. Then go into the configuration of your router from your PC & firstly change the admin password to something different than the standard one provided (for system security reasons). Write this down & keep it on record for yourself.

2) Once all the necessary usernames, passwords for your broadband provider are entered & you have the wired connection to your PC working properly, then you can set up wifi.

3) Go into the setup area of your router & turn on wifi. Use a "locked" broadcast - WPA2 is best, but WPA is also OK. Channels 1-11 are all OK to use. Set a password that must be used to connect to your wifi. Make it a good one (include numbers, letters & punctuation symbols). Write that down & keep it safe as you will need it to connect to your wifi. Also take a note of the name of the broadcast point in router settings & write that down too.

4) Reboot your router & check that the PC still connects OK

5) Power on your Note & turn on wifi. It should see the name of your wifi connection which should have a little padlock next to the icon. Connect to that. It will ask you for the password which you have just created in step 3, above. Enter that password carefully as it must be completely correct to connect. Once you have connected, everything on your Note should work as you would expect.

Only a couple of other general points to make. Sometimes, routers have a hardware button on them which you must press when connecting any new piece of equipment the first time as an additional security check. Your manual will tell you if that is the case. Finally, Leeshor has a great guide on resolving wifi problems in our Guides, FAQs & Tips section if you need any advanced troubleshooting help. (Link in signature, below).

Hope that helps & all the best
    Last edited by janner43; 01-20-2014 at 05:55 AM.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Note 10.1

You are scholar.

Thank you so much for your help. It works a treat. You are a scholar.
    God bless you.
    Thank you so much
    Ray.
    janner43 likes this.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    You're welcome. Glad to have helped.

I've marked the thread as SOLVED