Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times

Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Won't Charge

Dear all, I bought this 2014 edition in Sep 2014 and until recently it functioned without problems. But 2 months ago my daughter who is the regular user mentioned that battery life was decreasing in that capacity was going down and the tablet needed recharging almost twice a day. First we suspected the charger and replaced it. Went ok for a few weeks, then again no charging, red cross in battery symbol. So I thought bad battery and ordered and replaced it with a genuine 8220 mAh battery. Replacement was piece of cake with the tools supplied and a good youtube movie.
    But problems remained in that the battery would not charge. I checked multiple times if the flat cable connector was ok , the voltage at the flat cable socket with a 2A charger connected is OK, but still a red cross. System says: battery not charging (Settings-general-Battery) .Also the battery symbol popping up when the tablet is switched off and charger connected shows a 57 % charged battery with green level but above that solid green some green dots pop up as kind of noise?.
    So the next suspect was the charging port (the micro USB port) I ordered a replacement in China but after replacing the charging unit that did not solve the problem

Android version is 5.1.1. Is this a hardware problem or (hopefully) a SW bug?
    Has anybody a clue?

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Welcome to the forum

Software is a possibility but the only way to find out for certain would be a factory reset then not all the existing apps to sync back to the tablet when setting it up. If I understand your post, after the port swap and battery swap not much changed?
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thank you for your welcome.
    No things have not changed. A bit strange though is that yesterday evening the battery level was 57 %, and after charging all night (8 hrs) with a smaller charger ( 0.7 A for a S3 mini) the charge had risen to 96 % although the indicator still says no charging. My daughter used it today but after a few hours of playing (Disneys Gummy drop, candy crush etc) battery level was down to 41 %. After 3 hours of normal charging , that is using the 2A regular charger battery level is now up to 62 %. Still red cross in battery.
    Is it possible to step back in Android version? Now it is 5.1.1 but the starting version was 4.4 as I remember.

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    I seriously doubt that the version of Android is at the root of the problem. However, major upgrades have been known to cause various issues that can almost always be solved with a factory reset. That would remove all your data but would solve any issues caused by the, (last), upgrade and possibly any apps that aren't acting as they should..
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I see, but how can a factory reset solve problems caused by a major upgrade? Does it mean that a factory reset resets the OS to its original version? So back to 4.4?

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Most major Android upgrades work well but there are times that strange things happen after the upgrade, usually due to a corruption during the upgrade process. It's more likely to happen on an Android device that hasn't recently been restarted to freshen the system. Rogue apps can also cause problems in that they were not designed well for the newer OS. Developers are sometimes slow to update them. Doing the factory reset will leave whatever OS you upgraded to as the new, (refreshed), OS. In other words whatever you have now is what you will have after the reset.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Thanks for the explanation.I plan now to do a factory reset. Is it also possible to reload the existing version just to be sure no files or parts are corrupt?

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    It will reload the version you have now after a factory reset, just cleanly. It doesn't/won't roll back to previous versions.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Hi, I just started the process, screen says: downloading, for already 20 minutes, no progress indication though. What size is the total OS version?
    Now already waiting for 1.5 hrs but nothing changes or progresses. Is it possible to abort the process by switching the device off and start all over again?
    Last edited by jimjim123; 06-12-2016 at 05:46 AM.

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    The download sizes vary but are typically several hundred MB. Did you not do the factory reset?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads