Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Note 10.1

Digitizer Calibration or Reset?

Hi,

I recently had to replace the digitizer on my 10.1 Tab due to a cracked screen. In fact I've now done it twice as I was having problems with the first replacement and assumed I might have had bad hardware with the first. But now that I've had the same symptoms with a second screen, I'm wondering if it is more a software issue, and if it can be fixed.

The symptoms are that certain portions of the touch screen seem to become unresponsive to touch. But after I rotate the screen, a touch in that area will work fine. If I rotate back, it will also seems work. This seems to imply that some type of error is being reset during the rotation.

If I turn on the visual touch coordinates in the developer settings, the touches all seem to register ok with the exception of the top of the screen where the touches seem to jump to either to very top or bottom of the menu area. In addition, I no longer seem to be able to bring up the mini app tray despite the digitizer developer settings showing the touches as registering correctly.

I've had the same symptoms with 2 different digitizers from 2 separate suppliers. I've also done a factory reset but that didn't change anything.

Is there some type of calibration that needs to be done when a digitizer is replaced?

Any other suggestions appreciated. The tablet still works fine other than this. But with the touch screen not working correctly, its use is severely limited.

Thanks
    marc_pr and morto456 like this.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Welcome to the forum

I had a look on the Play Store and there seem to be quite a few apps that refer to screen testing and the like. I think I would start off with a full Factory Reset, followed by a few of those apps to see if they help you progress further.

All the best, & thanks for joining us

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Note 10.1
    The reset that I did was a full factory reset. The symptoms remained the same.

I also did do a search of the Play apps. It appears the screen testers are very specific to each model. I only found 1 that claimed to work on the Galaxy Tab 10.1, and it wasn't clear from the description that it would help. It also required root access and some rather arcane scripting to set up. While I'm capable, I was hoping to avoid learning yet another technology at that level. I'm willing to do it, but it would help to hear from some to verify that it might be worthwhile.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Device
    Galaxy Note 10.1
    Hi nice people.
    I also have exactly the same problem, after i broke my screen I bougth a new one and replaced it. But I am experiencing the same problem, the upper corner does not recognize my fingers even though it does recognice the s-pen, and it does recognize my finger when i rotate it. I tried some solutions:

1. Wipe cache and did a factory reset. (Did not work)
    2. Tried some apps in the market (did not work because they needed root permition)
    3. So I Rooted my Galaxy 10.1 ( with the CWM method for jellybean 4.1.2)
    4. I tried again with the apps that needed root permition like display tester, android lcd tester, lcd pixel tester, even nook screen recalibrate. (none of them worked)

So I think its a calibration problem, not a hardware problem (i replaced the screen with an original Samsung one)... somehow when you put a new screen it causes a phase displacement (hope i used the correct word) because if you slide your finger from up to down on the unresponsive to touch area it does recognices it, it feels as if that portion of the touchscreen were virtually out of the screen area.

I am still looking for a solution even if its a dificult one (i have some knowledge about programing although i have never work on this platform ).

P.D. Pardon my english i know it is not perfect.
    marc_pr likes this.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1
    I have the same issue. I replaced the digitizer on my Tab 10.1 over a year and a half ago. Since I could not get the touch to work properly my Tab 10.1 has been in a drawer since then. I recently pulled it out of the drawer to see if I could get it working.

The last post on this subject was two years ago. I have upgraded several times to new models including a Tab 2 10.1 and a Note 10.1 2014 Edition, but would like to get the original Tab working. Has anyone has found a solution?
    marc_pr likes this.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Hi Timb4321 (and Lakeguy),
    I have now the same issue after replacing the digitizer of my Galaxy tab 3 10.1. The screen is not responsive to touch in certain areas, especially in the middle of the screen. Did you manage to solve the problem? I am afraid it is a hardware issue, but I am not sure. One thing that might be important to do (which I have forgotten), is that you disconnect the battery before you disconnect the old digitizer and connect the new digitizer.
    Regards,
    Marc

Polaris
    Member #
    Liked
    159 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    Welcome to the forum marc_pr

"Normally" when that happens it's a poorly seated or dirty ribbon cable. I'm not sure I can think of anything else that would could cause that unless it's the other part of the screen.
    For answers on Flash Player installs, Rooting, Transferring files, printing and Malware/Anti Virus, WiFi problems and more, visit our
    Fabulous Guides & FAQ section

Remove Ads

Ads