Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By janner43
  • 1 Post By janner43
  • 1 Post By tweebee

Thread: [GUIDE] FAQ on e-reading & associated apps on the Samsung Tab range.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0

[GUIDE] FAQ on e-reading & associated apps on the Samsung Tab range.

E-reading on a Samsung Tab tablet is a very popular thing to do. It also generates a lot of "help me" posts

This thread has been created to try and pull a lot of information from various posters, from various places, all into one place in an effort to make it a "one stop shop" for the subject.

1. Where can I get e-books from?
    Personally I favour using Amazon, Google's Play Store or Feedbooks, however, this question has got a range of answers, a nice long list of them can be found here.
    Where to get ebooks

2. What are the options for e-reading on my Tab?
    I suggest the following.

a)Use four ereaders. The first should be Amazon Kindle. Why? Because it is so useful.
    # Amazon keeps a record of all the books you download,
    # there are thousands of free books available from Amazon
    # it is a safe place to buy books from,
    # you can browse their entire catalogue from either the app, the Tab browser or any pc browser and send them to any kindle app on any tablet you ever own or any actual kindle without ever having to "buy" them again.
    # from version 3.6.0 of the app, tablet users can customize their reading experience with new margin and line spacing controls and see two pages side-by-side in landscape mode.

In my experience most, if not all of the free books available elsewhere are available from amazon for kindle. Out of interest, with the latest app update, all the books you get for kindle are stored in a kindle specific format in the Android/data/com.amazon.kindle/files folder.

b) Use Aldiko for any other .epub & pdf you obtain. Why? Firstly because, it too can handle Adobe DRM and secondly because "sideloading" i.e. getting the epubs/pdfs by downloading them from somewhere else and then importing them into the app is very straightforward.

c) Have Cool Reader available if you want to read a "non kindle book" in landscape format or have a book read to you.

d) Use Overdrive if you borrow e-books from a library. See point (6) below.

BTW, both Aldiko & Cool Reader are available free from the Play Store. Other e-reading apps that others enjoy using are too many to list, but helpfully, someone once posted this link to a geat long list. The Big List of Android eBook Reader Apps - MobileRead Forums

3. I don't want to do it that way - I would rather access my books from a file manager type of environment.
    Happily, Transformer Forum member thenrik was kind enough to post some really detailed instructions on how to do this. Thank you Tom .

"I leave all of my ebooks on my Microsd card. I create a shortcut to the card using ES Explorer, browse to the book I want to read, choose open as text and then either use FB Reader, Cool Reader, Adobe Reader or EZpdf and Jota Text Editor. I'm limiting my ebooks to epub, pdf or text. I tried the trial of the paid app, Mantano Reader, and while not as bad it crashed as well.

Kobo, Aldiko, Moon Reader et all can't handle books well stored on the Microsd card. No thank you. I'm not going to spend five seconds trying to get a Ebook reader to find my books. I don't want to have to import books or comply with the readers' odd file systems and storage.

FB Reader handles Epub books in an attractive manner. It also shows up in the open text as menu. Highly recommended.

Cool Reader is also a great reader:
    *Open any book, hit the menu (four lines) icon at the bottom of the screen and then go to options.
    *There is a three menu page with an eye, a picture (frame with a mountain) and a wrench.
    *Choosing the eye menu change Background texture to Fabric. Change the Hyphenation dictionary from Russian to US English or the language of your choice.
    *Choose the Picture Frame and change View Mode to pages, Landscape pages to Two Pages and Selection animation to Paperbook.
    *Tap OK and you should find a reading experience similar to My Library.

As a bonus Cool Reader also reads most of my palm books but not all. I also occasionally run into Epub books that Cool Reader can't open but FB Reader will.

As others have pointed out the paid apps, EZpdf or Repligo, have more bookmarking and editing options but the free Adobe app works fine for reading ebooks.

Finally I use Jota Text Editor for text files. It works fine and can open huge files.

If I want to read an ebook, I don't open an app but instead go to my MicroSd shortcut, go to for example the fiction folder, press "Tale of Two Cities.epub", get a open as dialog, chose text and then Cool Reader or FB Reader. I organize my ebooks the way I wish and chose an app to view the ebook.

Tom"

The original thread that contains Tom's posts can be read here - My Library

4. A word about Google Play Books.
    Google's own Play Books app has received some pretty mixed reviews. But for one or two reasons, I quite like it.

It's page turning animation in landscape mode is very smooth & the way it displays books is very clear too. Personally, I don't plan to move over to the service 100%, but when the Play Store has great books offers, they really are good. They had some great photographic books on sale recently for only .01. Yes, that's right - 1c, or 1p or 1 whatever.

So, in short, I have it installed. Why not give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by tweebee View Post
    Google has recently made changes to Google Play Books to allow you to upload 1,000 PDF or EPUB files to your account and be able to read it on your device using the Play Books app. Go to https://play.google.com/books and login to your account, and you'll see the Upload Files option in the upper right corner.

I just finished a book that I'd uploaded to my account, and I was able to read it between my phone and tablet with the Play Books app. It works very nicely!

Happy reading!
    I too was very happy when Google announced this update to the Play Books app - & am in the process of copying all our public domain e pubs into the service for ease of access going forwards.

I found it easiest to do this by uploading all of the books to Google Drive & then loading them into Play Books from there. Once in Play Books, I just deleted the epubs from Drive.

It works perfectly across all our Android & Apple devices.

5. Offline dictionaries
    The Kindle app allows for the download of an offline dictionary that is linked to the books you have in your Kindle app. However, I also have installed two dictionary apps that have offline databases available. They are Dictionary - Merriam Webster; and Offline Dictionaries by NGHS.FR. Either of these has full offline access. The Merriam Webster also has useful additions such as hyperlinked synonyms & antonyms within the database. They are both free apps on Google's Play Store.

6. Reading library books
    I use Overdrive & it works perfectly - just select download from your library and the book appears in Overdrive.

Here are some links for those interested in this...

OverDrive - Global distributor of digital eBooks, audiobooks, music & video for library, school & retail

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.mediaconsole

7. Copying e books to your Tab from another computer.
    There a many different ways to do this depending on how you wish to do it & whether you have a Windows, Mac or Linux system.

Here are a few general suggestions...
    a) Use Dropbox - the android app works really well. Other cloud services would also be fine such as Box or Skydrive or Google's own cloud service.
    b) Copy your e books onto a microSD card on your computer and then use that in your Tab
    c) If your computer supports Samba (smb) sharing, then the ES File Manager app will allow you to copy files across wifi directly to your Tab
    d) Direct cable connection of your Tab to your computer - some find this completely straightforward. Others find it virtually impossible - which is why I have left it until last.

There you go. Hopefully this guide will get you on the right road to enjoy reading on your Tab.

8. DRM, Adobe Digital Editions and all that jazz
    Handling e-books with DRM on them can be a bit of a challenge on any tablet. Sometimes the solution is to connect to your PC and authorise the tablet through Adobe Digital Editions.

However, it is often easier just to download books directly to the relevant app on your Tablet - be it Nook, Kobo, Kindle or whatever.

Another option is to use an app - eg Aldiko - that handles Adobe DRM. The Aldiko support site suggests the following course of action...

If you would like to read Adobe-DRM protected EPUB/PDF files in the Aldiko Book Reader, you first need to register an Adobe ID and password.

Then open the Aldiko Book Reader, select menu of your Android device, then Settings and Adobe DRM in the Aldiko Book Reader, enter the Adobe ID and password that you have just registered to authorize your Android device.

After that, put the EPUB/PDF files in the external SD card or internal storage of your Android device (this depends on the file structure of your Android device), open the Aldiko Book Reader, tap on the “Files” icon. Locate the files that you would like to import into the Aldiko Book Reader, check the box next to each of them, then tap on the “Import to Aldiko” button.
    Last edited by janner43; 06-28-2013 at 10:02 AM.
    Astrix likes this.

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Please feel free to ask any questions on this subject in this thread - hopefully someone will know the answer! Also, if you have a great tip or e-reading suggestion to make, then please add that to the thread.

However, this thread is being maintained as an information thread on the subject of e-reading on the Samsung Tab range, so please do not engage in debates on the subject within the thread, or post general comments. Thank you. (Posts that do not follow this pattern will be deleted.)

Some readers may want to say thanks for a particular post - can I ask that we keep the thread as tidy as possible by saying "thank you" by simply tapping the LIKE icon at the end of the post you like. It will make it much easier to read the thread that way. Thank you.
    Last edited by janner43; 11-27-2012 at 08:49 AM.
    Astrix likes this.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Hi i have the galaxy tab 2 7.0 and i have downloaded some books online and i have them on my computer. i wish to use my usb cord to my tab to put them on my tab. i just dont know where to drag the files to on my tab, i prefer to use my google play "play books" app. is there any direct file to drop these files into?? PLEASE help i want to start my 4th game of thrones book. the third one i paid for thru my play books app. and dont wish to spend that money again. i want to put it on there myself. and i also down load the book on tape so i can listen and read at the same time. Thanks hope i get a reply soon being this is from last november. =] my email is krs10legit@gmail.com if its easier so i will get my answer quicker. thanks again, kristen

Oh another thing, you did a great job telling us all of those options. you just never got specific. like with the last category about i prefer to put the files on my tab from a computer. you just never said how to do that. like steps maybe, to drop the files where and how. i just figured that would be a tab bit more helpful. bc thats the answer i was looking for. thanks again for your time and patience to put this up her to begin with. i am truly grateful. just need a tad bit more help please ! thanks again!
    Kristen
    Last edited by janner43; 08-08-2013 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Merge posts, delete full quote of post #1

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Device
    Galaxy Note 8
    Quote Originally Posted by too.late4roses View Post
    Hi i have the galaxy tab 2 7.0 and i have downloaded some books online and i have them on my computer. i wish to use my usb cord to my tab to put them on my tab. i just dont know where to drag the files to on my tab, i prefer to use my google play "play books" app. is there any direct file to drop these files into?? PLEASE help i want to start my 4th game of thrones book. the third one i paid for thru my play books app. and dont wish to spend that money again. i want to put it on there myself. and i also down load the book on tape so i can listen and read at the same time. Thanks hope i get a reply soon being this is from last november. =] my email is krs10legit@gmail.com if its easier so i will get my answer quicker. thanks again, kristen
    Welcome to the forum!

Google has recently made changes to Google Play Books to allow you to upload 1,000 PDF or EPUB files to your account and be able to read it on your device using the Play Books app. Go to https://play.google.com/books and login to your account, and you'll see the Upload Files option in the upper right corner.

I just finished a book that I'd uploaded to my account, and I was able to read it between my phone and tablet with the Play Books app. It works very nicely!

Happy reading!
    janner43 likes this.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 3 7.0

downloading books

I am trying to load books into my tab 3 but, they do not show up in Playbook. I think they need to be converted to another form but, don't know which type or how to do this. Can anyone help?

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    I am trying to load books into my tab 3 but, they do not show up in Playbook. I think they need to be converted to another form but, don't know which type or how to do this. Can anyone help?
    Welcome to the forum

I have moved your question to our e-reading thread for you. I hope it will provide the information you need to answer your question.

When you say "Playbook" do you mean Google Play Books? If so, then you'll find the answer just above.

All the best

Remove Ads

Ads