Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Galaxy Tab 10.1 “Moisture” / “Oil Slick” Problem?

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    That's pretty cool. Glad you got a new one instead of the wait until they fixed the old one

Support Our Troops!!
    Sent from an Incredible phone via Tapatalk
    Support Our Troops!!!

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have had my tab since September. Absolutely in love with the device and use it every day. Took it with me on a trip over the Thanksgiving holiday. Flew from Kansas City to DC, then on drive to western North Carolina up in the Smoky Mountains. Used it while on the drive and every day we were up in the mountains - no problems. Toted it back on the drive to DC, used it there and no issues. On the last day in DC, used it in the am, no problem. In the afternoon, while waiting for my delayed flight at the Dulles airport, took it out of my purse and opened the case and was greeted with the ugly oil slick across the screen about 3-4 inches wide and 1 inch tall. Tab seemed to operate OK. Back in KC and the slick was still there. Took it out of the case (samsung oem case), and set it out to charge. This am oil slick is gone. Took it to work and opened the case and oil slick is back, but quite small and disipates while I watch. All ok now at the end of the day.

Now I am torn. I hate to go without my tab for an extended period of time, but don't want to get stuck with a defective unit either. I think I will wait just a bit to see if the issue recurs, meanwhile hoping that Samsung makes a more public acknowledgement of this issue and a good program for repair/replacements.

I would appreciate those of you who have sent yours in for repair to keep us updated on your experience.

Thanks

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    1 times
    I have the VZW Tab and they sent me a replacement - in the mean time I went on craigs list and picked up a used Tab WiFi to hold me over.

So far the replacement unit (refurbed) is fine.

FYI: Typically they send the Oil Slick/Newton Ring units to Samsung for repair (and I was instructed this was to happen with me) but VZW got their wires crossed and replaced the unit themselves.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Angry Galaxy Tab 10.1 Oil Slick ****************

So this is 7 December and Christmas is near. I "was" going to buy a SS tablet as a gift, but I don't want to have to deal with this crap. I have enough trouble with customer support, tech support, sales, you name it on all the other tech junk we have.

I've still seen "NOTHING" from Samsung on this problem other than call customer service or send the thing back for repair or a refurb! I don't buy a $500+ tablet to turn around and send it back for repair or get a hand me down from Samsung. What the heck is the problem and will new ones have it as well.

I guess I'll buy an iPad 2 as much as I hate Apple products...

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    I am almost certain that this phenomena is a result of the following : temperature, altitude, pressure on the side of the tab, and other magnetic radiation.... if I will have time I will write a detailed post about it - but I'm almost certain.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Oil spills

Appreciate the summary and that would be great if you worked for Samsung and could say you have fixed the issue now and we won't buy a tablet with this problem any longer...

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Quote Originally Posted by aftigr View Post
    So this is 7 December and Christmas is near. I "was" going to buy a SS tablet as a gift, but I don't want to have to deal with this crap. I have enough trouble with customer support, tech support, sales, you name it on all the other tech junk we have.

I've still seen "NOTHING" from Samsung on this problem other than call customer service or send the thing back for repair or a refurb! I don't buy a $500+ tablet to turn around and send it back for repair or get a hand me down from Samsung. What the heck is the problem and will new ones have it as well.

I guess I'll buy an iPad 2 as much as I hate Apple products...
    I hope your ipad doesn't come with the "lightbleed" problem
    There is no perfect electronic device, even Apple ones

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk
    Support Our Troops!!!

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I have a Tab purchased in September here in Vegas. Took it on a trip to Kauai last week and experienced the oil slick problem for the first time. After returning to Vegas the issue has disappeared. Initially I was very upset and even called CS from Kauai and have tags to ship back. I'm inclined to agree with Gingi I but also think high humidity is a factor. I went from dry desert to steamy tropics back to dry desert. Only had the issue in high humidity. God knows it gets hotter than Hades in Vegas and never had the issue until the Kauai trip so humidity has some effect. I just retired out here from steamy DC so I'm wondering if Gadgetgal had high humidity in DC when she got the issue. I'm going to pass on shipping back especially during holidays and see if it comes back here in Vegas.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

strange solution

I've been having off and on problems with an 'oil slick' or as I now know Newton Rings is the correct term. I took my Tab back to PC World and the solution - they put it in the fridge overnight, and so far so good! This appears to be Samsung's official answer!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    8 times
    That is a solution many sites give; my question - assuming I want to fix it - should I place it in the freezer or the fridge? I hear both are options - someone??

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads