Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: What Made You Choose the GT 10.1 Over the iPad2??

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

What Made You Choose the GT 10.1 Over the iPad2??

I'm torn between the GT 10.1 and the iPad2, or simply getting a second laptop. We're retired, so work productivity is not an issue, but still do some minor spreadsheets and letters, and would also like to use the tablet as a book reader.

The iPad2 has more of a track record, and Apple customer support is fantastic, but I like the fact that the GT 10.1 is not as locked down as the ipad.

A second laptop would give us everything, but it would be more expensive (for the model we are looking at), and we would still need to buy a Nook Color/Tablet to read books.

So, for those who were on the fence, what was the deciding factor that made you chose the GT 10.1 over the iPad2, and are you satisfied with your decision?

This is really a tough decision, and any insight will be appreciated; Thank you
    Last edited by marc515; 11-30-2011 at 06:13 AM.

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    You need to just go ahead and get an ipad imo.
    It really sounds, from other posts/topics, you want to be talked out of an ipad.

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk
    Support Our Troops!!!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    What made me choose the GTab over the iPad? The GTab isn't an Apple product.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk
    jojo74 likes this.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikermark View Post
    You need to just go ahead and get an ipad imo.
    It really sounds, from other posts/topics, you want to be talked out of an ipad.

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk
    Thank you for the constructive opinion. Yes, as of now I do favor the ipad, possibly because it's really been the top dog on the block; but that's why I posted here, hoping that folks who "were" in my shoes could share some decision points I haven't thought of.

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    I didn't mean any harm. You said you are retired, Android is on the first floor, though moving up fast, and has a lot of kinks to work out. If you've been reading the forum you've probably noticed samsung support is lacking and I doubt you would want to spend your retirement income and time on a device that should something happen a forum is your best solution for help.
    Apple Care alone is why I suggested it. If samsung tech support was 1/4 what AC is my answer would be different. I've read about a LOT more problems with ipads, mostly due to sheer sales numbers, odds, etc but the main difference has been the ease of getting them fixed. Oil slick on a Tab screen ? Send it to samsung for a couple of weeks. Oil slick on an ipad? You walk out the store with a new and set up like your old one in a couple of hours at most.
    I really like my Tab and own an ipad that I don't even use anymore because my Tab fits me better but for a first time tablet person on a limited income Apple Care is such a huge difference in quality.
    Dec 8 or so there will be another brand called the Transformer 2 hitting the stores. If you aren't in a hurry, take a look at that because it truly is the next big thing, will blow the Tab and ipad away in sheer capability, but again no Apple Care.
    Whichever tablet you get an app called Splashtop will be a wonderful app. It works just as well on Apple as it does on Android. It allows you to remotely access your dedktop/laptop from your tablet, making the need to ever carry your laptop with you a very seldom necessity.
    Again , if I seemed harsh I apologize. It wasn't meant that way. I truly believe the ipad is your best bet.

Support Our Troops!!
    Sent from an Incredible phone via Tapatalk
    Support Our Troops!!!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    I bought the gtab over the iPad simply because the flexibility with Android. I also didn't think I would get used the the launcher with no app drawer. I have a lot of apps that I don't use regularly and it is nice to not have them on the homescreen. That being said, we just purchased an ipad 2 for my dad for Christmas. He is not very tech savy and thought it would be easier for him to learn to use it. I have been setting up his accounts and downloading apps for him, so it's ready to go for Christmas day.

I will say, I was a little nervous doing this for fear that I might think I made a mistake by not getting an ipad for myself. It is neat to see them side by side. I don't think the ipad screen is any better than the gtab. The gtab is slightly longer and narrower than the ipad. I find myself always using the ipad in portrait mode and my tab in landscape. I think ipad feels more comfortable that way than the gtab. I also think the ipads stock keyboard is way better than any android keyboard (not as far as customizing, and but rather feel and responsiveness). Last, for some reason I think that the android Market is easier to do generic searches for things compared to the appstore. I found it difficult to search for "strategy games" and find any results. The ipad apps seem to be developed much better than android. It's hard to explain, and but they just seem more refined. I think this has a little to do with the fact that the ipad has been around longer than android tablets. I don't think this will be true in a few years.

I'm happy I have my gtab. I don't think you can go wrong with either. I do think my father would like the ipad better than the gtab though.

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Did you find setting up the ipad LESS intuitive than Android? I find Android to be more Windows-like when using and once I got past the ios being a different mind set, it became a breeze.
    I agree totally that the 4x3 ratio of the ipad is more comfortable to use, especially in portrait mode but didn't find the Tab to feel as goofy as the Xoom in portrait.
    The Apple store is a mess to use but it gets easier with time. Try an app called App Shopper. It not only lets you know of sales and freebies but also helps narrow down searches quite a bit
    Marc515, should you get an ipad and have any questions I'll be more than happy to help you with them if you'd like
    Also should you decide on another laptop, both Amazon and Barnes and Noble have apps for using their products on the laptop

Support Our Troops!!
    Last edited by Mountainbikermark; 11-30-2011 at 07:42 AM.
    Support Our Troops!!!

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Device
    Galaxy Note 8
    I have wanted an iPad for so long, ever since its first release. I am happy now that I didn't get one and have gone the Android route. I also like the Tab better because of the flexibility with Android. It does everything that I need it to do, such as web browsing, email, an ebook reader, etc. I like that it doesn't require the use of something like iTunes because iTunes is just really slow. I read a lot of books/magazines, and the Tab makes a better ebook reader IMO. I like that I can customize the homescreens on the Tab with different icons and widgets. When I look at an iPad now, all I can see are big icons and a lot of wasted space on its screen. I think my Tab looks cooler than any iPads!
    jojo74 likes this.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Mountainbikermark,

You brought up some very good points.

Thank you sir!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikermark View Post
    Did you find setting up the ipad LESS intuitive than Android? I find Android to be more Windows-like when using and once I got past the ios being a different mind set, it became a breeze.
    I agree totally that the 4x3 ratio of the ipad is more comfortable to use, especially in portrait mode but didn't find the Tab to feel as goofy as the Xoom in portrait.
    The Apple store is a mess to use but it gets easier with time. Try an app called App Shopper. It not only lets you know of sales and freebies but also helps narrow down searches quite a bit
    Marc515, should you get an ipad and have any questions I'll be more than happy to help you with them if you'd like
    Also should you decide on another laptop, both Amazon and Barnes and Noble have apps for using their products on the laptop

Support Our Troops!!
    I would agree with Android running more like windows. Honestly, I didn't pay much attention while setting up the ipad. It seemed to take a little more time to setup than an android device. One thing that already annoys me with the appstore is that you have to keep entering your apple password when downloading apps. I like how with Android, you set it up one time and your done. IDK, I could be missing something.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads