Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Mountainbikermark
  • 1 Post By sauspud

Thread: Will the "Ice Cream Sandwich" Firmware Update Affect My Paid-For "Honeycomb" Apps?

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1

Will the "Ice Cream Sandwich" Firmware Update Affect My Paid-For "Honeycomb" Apps?

Apologies for the poorly phrased title but that's the best I could do.

I've just finished reading a bit about this major Ice Cream Sandwich Android firmware update that's apparently coming and how it will change everything.

Well, how will this ICS change affect all the apps I've been buying and that are designed for the current Honeycomb firmware? Will these apps be incompatible with the ICS firmware?

Who's to say the developers of the apps I've purchased will be updating their soon-to-be-old software to work properly with ICS? Seems like it will be easy for them to say, sorry, new firmware requires new purchase of my product.

Am I really wrong to be concerned?

Who comes up with these firmware names?

Are ice cream sandwiches better than ice cream shakes?

Thanks for your thoughts!
    Last edited by Beeblebrox; 12-07-2011 at 12:31 AM. Reason: because, just because

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    ICS source code has been released already, so the devs should be working with them already. So no, I would not think that you have anything to be concerned about.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    As things get closer you'll probably notice more and more updates to your apps that state something to the effect of "Ice Cream Sandwich ready",compatible ",etc.
    There is no need to be worried, just check your "my apps" from time to time for updates to the apps. I've gotten a few recently.
    The next in line is Jelly Bean.

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mountainbikermark; 12-07-2011 at 06:13 AM.
    Support Our Troops!!!

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountainbikermark View Post
    As things get closer you'll probably notice more and more updates to your apps that state something to the effect of "Ice Cream Sandwich ready",compatible ",etc.
    There is no need to be worried, just check your "my apps" from time to time for updates to the apps. I've gotten a few recently.
    The next in line is Jelly Bean.

Support Our Troops!!!

Sent from this Galaxy via Tapatalk

Great to read both your posts and your belief I should have no great worries about paying twice due to these updates/upgrades. I admit I'm still feeling much more hesistant to purchase anything, at least for a little while. The app gold rush is off for now.

I've got just about all my apps set for auto update, is that wise?

Maybe because of that I have yet to notice any app mentioning ICS compatibility.

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    I set mine to auto update as well.
    If you want to save some coin go to Amazon website and grab the free Amazon apps app. A feature of it is every day there is a free app of the day. Some are no biggie (like regular .99) and some are great deals (like regular $14.99).
    I've been thru 2 major updates on my Tab and 2 on my Incredible phone and my apps have done fine. None gone, goofy or any if that stuff
    With Android also if you get another android device you don't have to pay for the apps again to install on the new device. You just go to the market, Myapps, choose the ones you want. Same with Amazon Android apps

Support Our Troops!!
    Sent from an Incredible phone via Tapatalk
    Beeblebrox likes this.
    Support Our Troops!!!

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    3 times
    This is a Great Question: I don't see anything wrong with your phrasing. That said I was also worried that apps that are Web dependent for streaming (Like my Pinnacle TV Pro) will have problems with ICS due to the fact that Adobe has stopped making flash for mobile.
    P.S. I hear that Adobe will make it's last update to Flash Mobile just for ICS, if this is the case I will update, but not before flash is included.
    Once in a Life Time

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    9 times
    Also Icecream Sandwich is better than shakes as you get to BITE instead of SUCK!!!
    Beeblebrox likes this.
    Sent from Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Remove Ads

Ads