Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times

Wall Charger - Argghhh

So I had almost a full charge last night. I powered it off before I called it a night. While in the official case the unit turned on. When I opened up the case I had 10% battery. Now I have zero. The odd thing is that it was probably only on for 40 minutes. Now I'm without the wall charger. Just two data cables and one 10.1 Keyboard.
    The 10.1 doesn't seem to be charging via the data cable to my desktop. Neither will the data cables charge the device with the THREE usb wall chargers I have. No charge from the plugging in the keyboard to the data cable to a standard usb wall charger...

Did I finally fall to the Samsung screw? (forcing one to buy not only a 30 pin data cable but a Samsung wall charger too).

p.s.
    Trips to Staples and BestBuy who both sell the 10.1 came up empty on a GT wall charger. argghh.
    Last edited by screwIpad; 07-28-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Device
    Galaxy Note 8
    My 10.1 Tab charges when it is turned off and connected to my laptop via the data cable. It doesn't charge when it is turned on though. So you might want to try turning it off to charge. It is very slow at charging compare to the wall charger.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    I read you have to be carefull with oem case becuase it can turn the tab on due to tightness at the power button.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    yeah that worked. After an hour I'm only up 7%. Man this is definitely a knock against Samsung.
    I wonder if the Asus and Acer people have to put up with this.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    64 times
    Device
    Galaxy Note 8
    Yeah, it charges very slow via USB like I said, but it's better than not having any juice at all.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    interesting. I stopped by the T-Mobil store since they sell the 7" GT. The sales clerk plugged in my 10.1 with a Samsung 30 pin cable (for the phones and not for 10.1) and a T-Mobil brand USB wall charger ($30) and it worked fine....hmmm.
    I buy it and take it back and find out that the 10.1 data cable will not work with the T-mobil USB charger.
    It appears that the issue is the 10.1 data cable and not the wall charger. For whatever reason it works with a PC USB but will not work with a non-10.1 USB charger. Moral of the story: buy the Samsung 30 pin data cable ($15 at T-mobil store) and use one of your generic usb wall chargers.

The Samsung 10.1 wall charger sells for $45. Not cheap after already spending $150 on the case, keyboard dock and extra data cable and the USB dongle.

p.s.
    If you buy the official Samsung case, put it in so that the power button is near the flap on the case.
    There is a little more room to avoid accidentally pressing the button. When the power button is on the other end its a very tight fit. But this means you'll have to take it out of the case to use the camera (which I'll probably never use).
    Last edited by screwIpad; 07-28-2011 at 05:05 PM.

Super Moderator
    Member #
    Liked
    40 times
    Device
    Other Android Tab
    I've learned here to be careful with the Samsung wall charger. I usually go through chargers left and right, leaving them here, leaving them there, having people walk off with them.

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    7 times
    This cable will help by allowing more current to go to your Tab, but as the IPad reviewer said it doesn't solve the problem....but for 3 bux it's probably worth buying and trying

Amazon.com: OEM UTStarcom Universal Y Adapter USB Data Cable With Two Male & One Female Connector: Cell Phones & Accessories

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Quote Originally Posted by screwIpad View Post
    yeah that worked. After an hour I'm only up 7%. Man this is definitely a knock against Samsung.
    I wonder if the Asus and Acer people have to put up with this.
    The USB port of yesteryear isn't designed for the higher current output needs of the tablets of today . Pushing a very low current into a 7000mah battery is going to take quite a while to fill it.
    What would be very nice for all tablets would be a USB to transformer to USB female adaptor, using the low current of the older USB port to power the converter then plug our Tab or ipad to it.

Support Our Troops!!
    This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone
    Support Our Troops!!!

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Thanks,

btw, using the Samsung 10.1 charger through a surge protector seems to take a really long time. I plugged it in at 8 pm (turned off) and by 10 pm I'd only gotten to about 15%. I unplugged it and went without the safety net directly to the wall outlet and did about twice that in the next two hours. Either way does anyone else find that the battery takes at least six hours to fully charge?
    this seems kind of crazy...a Nissan leaf would probably take less time. LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Ads