• 2 Post By treker

Thread: Still Going Strong After Over 2 Years

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times

Still Going Strong After Over 2 Years

June 19 my Tab 1 10.1 turned 2.
    I had previously pretty much given it to my toddler daughter but as graduation season came about I wanted to use it for editing photos and videos for a scrapbook my wife was making. Frame Grabber for stills from the videos and Tool Box to convert the video formats to mp4 for using in Frame Grabber really came in handy.
    The battery life is still pretty much the same as when it was new, about 6-9 hours of screen time, depending on what I'm using it for. Tool Box is a battery hog as an example of what sucks the battery down in less time than that but syncing a lot of photos to cloud services, and some of my daughter's games also, has always done so so I'm used to that.
    While there are newer and better spec devices available I'm still very satisfied with the overall performance and speed of how this thing gets the job done.
    Having the adaptor to sync files to and from, along with a 32gb memory has never been a pain or let me down so I'm not missing user replaceable memory, such as a micro sd card , at all.
    The screen, to me, is still the best out there and I've seen a few that at best equal it but none better.
    Another perk is Apple has stopped trying to have it banned from the planet .
    It's not my most used anymore but doing the onload, edit, offload work over the last few weeks on it instead of the desktop has been a reminder of why I bought it the week it initially released in the States.
    Would having a newer version of Android be a good thing? Maybe but that would totally depend on how much Samsung tries to fix the unbroken. It has its quirks that are, imo, because of Touch Wiz but overall it's better than when I got it and is still quite capable of being much more than a childrens app machine.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    Sent from this Galaxy
    Support Our Troops!!!

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Tab 1 10.1 is just a little bit older. I LOVE it. It travels with me everywhere. Sold my lightweight compact laptop...it still was bigger, heavier, more stuff to carry. I have tried other top end tablets from Asus, Toshiba, but their screens always seemed drab compared to my Sammy. ICS works okay. Would JB be an improvement? Probably, but not worth dumping my slim and light 10.1. Battery still seems to be giving around 10hrs of movie watching with gps/wifi shutoff and screen dimmed to a nicely viewable level on a plane. The tablet is still alm ost like new. I have never used a protector screen or case for the back. The screen is perfect. The case back is unscratched. I only use a ZeroShock memory foam case when I carry it somewhere. I bought a spare refurbished Tab 10.1 last year just in case I dropped it or lost it as I knew I would want to replace it immediately with the same great tablet. The Tab 2 just isn't as sexy as the original. The newly released Tab 3 with expansion card may interest me when I get my hands on it to compare...?

Quasar
    Member #
    Liked
    95 times
    Mine has been used mostly by a 5 year old for since February 2012 when I got a Fire until June of this year. I've got a Bluetooth keyboard/case but it hasn't been on it in about a year as well. No screen protector ever. No scratches anywhere. It's a lot tougher than it looks or feels out of the box. It's got one little spot of white pixels that look like a tiny fingerprint that you can only see on a black screen, and even then barely as it's more dark gray than white and it's in the lower left corner.

Support Our Troops!!!
    <><
    A Rezound phone was used for this Tapatalk post
    Support Our Troops!!!

Sirius
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Still love my GT 10.1, too! ES File Explorer. Pocket, Dropbox, Box, and some other favorite apps continue to make this device a versatile and a regular travel companion.

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    4 times
    Device
    Galaxy Note 10.1
    I bought a new Galaxy Note 10.1 a few months ago because I wanted one. It is a little speedier than my original Tab, but otherwise, there's not a huge improvement. Battery's better, but that's about it. My original Tab is still in beautiful shape with not a scratch on the screen or the body. I actually like the older Android version better. It does Flash, and lets me move apps to a SD card if available (obviously not on my Tab, but still......). I never have run out of room on it even without an SD card. We travel in an RV a lot, & I primarily use it for Google Maps now. It's on for up to 8 hours a day with screen on 100% of the time, Wifi on and GPS. I can go about 3 hours before I plug it in. That's pretty darn good for an "old" battery. It's still one of the best purchases I ever made.
    Galaxy Note 10.1
    GT-N8013

Andromeda
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1
    I've had some particularly frustrating moments with my GalTab 10.1 but I must admit overall satisfaction. Mine is also going strong after 2 plus years.

I bought Samsung's $50 hardcover case to protect from the dropsies and a screen shield to protect from, well, Toddlers, but besides a single pixel that went to the dark side, it's all working well enough.

Thunbs up from me upon further reflection.
    Last edited by Beeblebrox; 09-10-2013 at 01:31 AM.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    2 times
    Update... I noticed my battery was now only providing about 5 hrs of video playback. I replaced the battery. A little tricky but I got all the cables hooked back up and case back on. Seems to be back to normal 10 hrs of playback. Worth the $20 from ebay Hong Kong seller. I continually look at new tablets. But all seem to pale in screen vivid colors. Most look washed out in comparison. I guess the screens don't 'pop' like my 10.1.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 10.1
    My GT is also like new after being used almost every day. I mostly use the device for reading. Well worth the money.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Mine is still working with no problem and I use it every time we go on a walkabout taking photos at the Zoo or an arboretum for viewing the photos in camera before we get home and offload them to the big computer.

My camera is a Canon and shoots in the RAW format so the photos are 20-35MB each but CR2thumbnailer works great for viewing the photos using nothing more than the adapter to USB and a 3' USB cable.

Also have the Nexus 7 2013 but am not as impressed with it as my Sammy. So I'm still a happy camper!

Remove Ads

Ads