Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 3 7.0

Can't find a compass that works. Problem: Apps or device? Gyro working?

I've downloaded the top three free compass apps from the samsung app store on my galaxy tab 3 7.0.

I've also downloaded the top free star chart from the same place.

None of the compasses turn relative to my motion. The star chart does not track with my movement.

In normal operation the screen does flip relative to the way I am holding it, and the marine compass i downloaded could tell how level or upright i was holding my device.

So, I don't know if the problem is my device or the apps. It seems strange to me that i can't find a single compass app among the top ranked ones that actually works. The samsung help line was no help, because they can't say whether or not the apps I am trying are any good.

Can anyone recommend either a compass or a star chart app that they know for a fact will work on the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 7.0?

Thanks.

Cassiopeia
    Member #
    Liked
    0 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 3 7.0

How can I tell if my gyro is working -or- How I know the problem is with the app.

I can't be sure, but it seems to me my devices (Galaxy Tab 3 7.0) gyroscope isn't working at 100%.

Things that make me think it works:

Screen flips in all four directions depending on how i hold it.
    A marine compass app I downloaded could tell how level I was holding my device, from flat, to upright.

Things that make me think it doesn't work:

I have downloaded the 3 top ranked free compass apps, and not a single one of them can find north, not with altering any of the settings, not with trying to calibrate the device, flipping it around and doing a figure-8 with it.

I have downloaded star charts, and none of them can track my movement as I look around the sky.

Is there any way to diagnose my gyro? Does anyone know of a compass app that they know for a FACT will work correctly with a Galaxy Samsung Tab 3 7.0

Administrator
    Member #
    Liked
    149 times
    Device
    Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
    Welcome to the forum

I saw your original post & now this subsequent one & I'm sorry but its "one thread for each question" here according to our rules, so I have needed to merge your two threads together. I did add the "gyro working?" edit to the thread title for you though. Thanks for understanding

Anyway, to deal with your question - my first thought was "is this an Intel chip & is that the problem?". But I see from the specs that that isn't the case.

I don't know if the issue is with your gyro from what you say but my experience with compass apps is that they are affected by magnetic fields more than anything else as they use the magnetic sensor. I use one of the simplest compass apps on our phone & it has a calibrate option which gets you to hold the device parallel to the ground and move it in a figure 8 movement. I see you have tried that already though, so I must confess to being a little stumped.

I am wondering if another app is interfering or if you have disabled something or other on your device which is preventing the normal operation?

I don't know if your retailer would allow you to return your tab3 and see if they can get a compass app to work on one in store? If they can then maybe they would just do an exchange for you?

Perhaps try getting one or more of the top compass apps from the Play Store (rather than the Samsung store) - you might get better results with one of those, perhaps.

All the best
    Last edited by janner43; 01-21-2014 at 11:40 AM.

Remove Ads

Ads